Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeze when connecting to monitor

I have a 2011 Thunderbolt Macbook Air. I have the old white Mini display adapter to VGA (NOTE, THIS IS NOT THE NEW MINI-DISPLAY TO DVI). Everytime that I plug in the adapter that is connected to my monitor, my macbook air freezes or becomes very very slow. The pinwheel of doom will usually come on and off until you unplug the monitor. Sometimes, my computer will just become very slow, and I will be able to still use it, it just takes a while. I can look at the system prefs pane and see that my monitor is detected with its name. Nothing every shows on my monitor, and it stays asleep. The same thing happens of I try to plug my air into any other VGA device like a home theatre projector or a Television. What is wrong here?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:19 PM

6 replies

Aug 2, 2012 10:10 AM in response to macfromdenver

This is an older topic, but I'm having the exact same problem and haven't found a solution yet. I'm also using a third party adaptor made by a company called V7. I know it's third party, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work when the thing was made to run with Apple computers. Why should I have to buy the more expensive Apple-brand everything just to use perhiprials with my computer? I'm beginning to think that the "plug in anything and it works immediately" mantra that Apple fans like to throw around is a load of crap because I've had problems with nearly every external device I've attempted to use, from MP3 players to midi keyboards.

Sorry for somewhat ranting, but I would like some advice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe some settings I can play around with?

Aug 2, 2012 11:08 AM in response to Jonah-B

@Jonah-B

If it is Apple branded take it back to Apple.

If it is a 3rd party device you'll have to work with them.

Apple is usually a more stable environment because the number of variables are smaller. When you go to test a Mac with Apple branded equipment their QA team usually does a decent job of testing all the current models. This is possible because there are a limited number of current models to test with. It also means that Apple can take shortcuts in implementing new technologies that take other PC manufacturers to work together on to create a standard. PC laptops still ship with VGA on board. Apple has been using mini Display Port for years and is now moving on to Thunderbolt. The PC industry has just started talking about getting rid of VGA to standardize on HDMI as the laptop output of choice.

Start adding in 3rd party connectors connecting to 3rd party devices and it gets complicated in the Apple world.

If you can identify the V7 adapter, the Monitor and the Mac laptop model and year you are using it might help.

V7 is Ingrahm Micro's OEM brand. I would try contacting them for support since you are not likely to be on the only Mac user with a V7 adapter having issues

:

Technical Support / Customer Service
Your questions concerning V7 Products

Phone: (800) 289-9686

Hours of operation: Monday - Friday: 8:30 am - 8:00 pm EST (excl. Holidays)

E-mail: techsupport@v7-world.com

Nov 18, 2012 8:01 AM in response to macfromdenver

Same problem here with MacBook Pro.

At first, it worked fine. Monitor was detected and worked smoothly. After week or so same symptoms started to appear. But instead of slowing down, system goes to halt completely and the only way to start Mac working is to unplug adaptor and hold power button.

I'm using Macally mini vga adaptor. I have no intentions spending 50+ bucks on Apple branded adaptor as I do not see the big difference amongst them.

Hope someone can come up with solution.

Freeze when connecting to monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.