Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to pay sales tax?

Hello.

I am going to buy a new macbook pro. I am considering buying in online and picking it up in Oregon.Do I have to pay sales tax if I buy in online and pick it up in Oregon?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:43 PM

it doesn't matter. just if there is one in your state, the online store will charge you sales tax, even though it doesn't get shipped to the store. it will show you before you check out what the total tax is.

15 replies

Nov 18, 2011 6:10 AM in response to Ki Ryeong Park

Apple store online collects sales tax for any state that has a sales tax. I believe Nevada and Delaware do not have a sales tax so Apple would not add a sales tax to the final bill for those two shipping addresses. You could buy from an authorized Apple resellers, many online sellers make it a point that they do not collect sales tax for states that they ship to. Also many states will allow buyers from outside of their state to fill an" exempt from sales tax" form but you would have to prove that you reside outside of the state. Of course every state has their own rules on how to file for the exemption.

Jul 8, 2012 8:31 AM in response to Ki Ryeong Park

Others have already said all salient points... but this acticle talks right to the issue, including the history and why a physical presence in the state means that Apple's online presence has to collect sales tax (even if shipping directly instead of in-store pickup) while Amazon and other online-only retailers don't.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2010/11/every_days_a_tax_holiday .html

Weylin

Jul 25, 2012 8:37 AM in response to weylin

I am a business that has a Sales and Tax resale exemption which is issued BY OUR STATE. Every other company we deal with, including Best Buy, which is in every state, honors the Sales and Use Tax exemption form as we are in the home technology business as well. So, tell me why Apple will not? This has not been given a logical reason. They are making small businesses pay tax twice on the products.

Oct 24, 2012 4:57 PM in response to Ki Ryeong Park

Ki Ryeong Park wrote:

Thank you for answering the questions. I bought in online and chose pickup, but there was no sales tax. (:

Just to clarify this issue since the new iMacs have been announced and will need to order to get the new drive.

If I live in a state that has a sales tax (Washington) and order an iMac through the Apple store with a custom configuration but opt for it to be shipped to a state that has no sales tax (Oregon) for me to physically pick it up, will I be charged a sales tax?

Jan 6, 2013 6:43 AM in response to Ki Ryeong Park

I just heard from a Tennessee State Representative, that even though Apple collects our 9.75% sales tax, they do not remit the tax to the state. Yikes! Where have those hundreds of dollars in sales taxes that I've been paying over the last 15 years gone? Admittedly, this particular state rep has been known to take rumor as truth, but I will surely be looking for the facts.

Do I have to pay sales tax?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.