Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a photograph out of iMovie

Using iMovie'11 v9.0.4(1634), I've been able to create a snapshot of an action which I would like transfer to iPhoto or to print out. The copy/paste process does not seem to work with this sort of origonal. Can anyone advise how to produce the required photo?

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:38 PM

8 replies

Nov 18, 2011 2:39 AM in response to Boatfly

Hi

Just an alternative route. I do

• in iMovie - copy small clip including photo

• drop into a brand new project

• shorten it even more

• Share to QuickTime

• Here I Export as as still photos and I use .jpg - and if I selected short enough clip they don't need to be more than a few saved ones to select the propper one from.

Still DO NOT Expect to much - the quality is not that great in iMovie so that's what it will be at it's best.

Yours Bengt W

Nov 20, 2011 7:57 PM in response to Boatfly

If you have an exported file, try this suggestion. I found this out by accident whilst trying to create a photo from a 1920x1080 MP4 video.

Import video into iPhoto and select it.

Double-click it.

Pause play.

Click on Gear symbol to the right of the play controls and select Trim.

Move Left of the highlighted Trim bar to the point you require the photo.

Click Trim button.

Go back to Last Import.

Export using Kind = Current.

Change exported file’s extension to JPG.

Now you have a photo with the same pixel size as the video.

Dec 11, 2011 10:04 PM in response to macpomaus

Karsten, Ive used that app and it works ok. The ability to step one frame at a time is an asset. Photos have been imported to IPhoto and edited therein to a degree. The resulting image is not as clear or as crisp as a normal still photo, that is to be exoected I suppose. Do you use a photo editor to improve on your stills/

Dec 11, 2011 10:22 PM in response to Boatfly

Boatfly wrote:

… . Do you use a photo editor to improve on your stills/

glad, it worked out (somehow … ) for you.-

no, I usually do not use 'stills' from my video ... although I'm recording in 720/25p, which was 10 years ago an excellent resolution, 'video' is highly, way too much compressed.

any video codec is optimized for moving pictures, not as on film, videos encoded in AVCHD (=h.264) do not store every frame (tech lingo: an interframe codec). so, if you 'grab' a single frame, this picture is mainly mathematics, not photography 😉

although it looks good on playback, single frames of same video don't fullfill my standards (ok, on rare occasions, when content is more important than any techniqué). stills of video only in video 🙂

no, sorry, no useful advice from here for optimizing stills ...

Creating a photograph out of iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.