Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with permissions

I have problem with my iMac,running Lion.

Two user can't move files from one folder to another. They need an administrators name and password to do that. They have read and write permissions.

No user can remove or add icons to the Dock.

No user can change language.

I had to repeat a change in User or Privilege for a folder several times before there is a change in the dialogue. Usually four times, but sometimes eight times.

I've run Disk Utility and repaired permissions several times, but it doesn't help.

What else can I do?

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:36 AM

10 replies

Nov 18, 2011 4:40 AM in response to i_smile

You can't repair user permissions with DU's Repair Permissions. It doesn't affect the user in any way.

Here is a method for resetting home folder permissions: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10329971-263.html

Although it says the Leopard Installer DVD, it works the same on Snow and Lion (Recovery partition--see here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/15/repair-user-permissions-in-mac-os-x-lion/).

Nov 21, 2011 1:41 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney,

Thank you! It didn't help, but I'm not sure wether it depends on me or not.

The problematic users doesn't have acces to sudo commands so I tried it on my own accound cince I have some problems there too.

I typed 'sudo chmod -RN ~' and then my password.

This is the message I got:

chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file ubiquity.socket: Invalid argument.

Any ideas?

Nov 21, 2011 5:08 AM in response to i_smile

Non-admin users cannot sudo by default. You can add them to the sudoers file if you want. There is a special editor for the sudoers file. Can't remember what it is, but you can find instructions googling for it.

As for the error, I'm not sure. However, it does have a lock file associated with it, and maybe that prevented changes to the file. On my two systems, the ubiquity.socket does not have any ACLs, so yours don't look correct.

I also found a post indicating a guy just deleted the folder and OS X recreated it correctly. You might try that and then run the command again.

Did you ever use the Finder Get Info to change permissions on those users, and then use the Apply to Enclosed function? If so, that's how the ACLs got mucked up. That function not only copies what you see, but also what you don't see, like the ACLs. If you need to do large-scale permission changes (and, unless you really know what you are doing, you don't), use BatChmod instead.

Nov 21, 2011 6:33 AM in response to i_smile

Hi,

With regard to this error message:

As an aside, I've done some experimenting on an expendable test account that I've played with after deliberately running "Apply to enclosed items" on its Home folder. I also get that error message after running

sudo chmod -RN ~

When you look at the Ubiquity folder with Terminal's ls -laeO command, the file-mode output line for the ubiquity.socket file has a leading s, indicating that the file is of type "Socket link":

srwxr-xr-x 1 t2 staff - 0 Nov 21 08:37 ubiquity.socket

This "socket link" file type is not something I know about, but it may be the reason for the "invalid argument" error message. More importantly, when I looked at the other user files after running sudo chmod -RN ~, I found that the command had worked - it had successfully removed the unwanted ACLs that had been added by using "Apply to enclosed items" on the Home folder.

Nov 21, 2011 6:35 AM in response to i_smile

It didn't help.

I removedthe ubiquity filder and the system recreated it.

I've followed the resetpassword/ACL procedure.

I typed 'sudo chmod -RN ~' and got the same message again:

Please look at the last entry at http://www.fixkb.com/2011/08/reset-home-folder-permissions.html. Is this supposed to be the same command: chmod -R -N /Users/username

Nov 21, 2011 7:30 AM in response to i_smile

drwxr-xr-x@ 5 patrik staff - 170 21 Nov 15:24 Ubiquity

You are looking at the Ubiquity folder - the ubiquity.socket file is inside it. Try copy-pasting this command:

ls -leO ~/Library/Application\ Support/Ubiquity

Interestingly, the ubiquity.socket file is invisible to Finder even though that file doesn't carry a "hidden" flag, and it's still invisible even if you enable Finder to show hidden items.

Nov 21, 2011 8:22 AM in response to jsd2

Thank you for correcting my mistake. I've now found the leading s.

srwxr-xr-x 1 axel staff - 0 Nov 21 16:55 ubiquity.socket

I have made some progress now. I gave the user permission to adminitrer the computer (instead parental control) and then tried sudo chmod -RN ~ again.

This is the result:

chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file IMG_0878.JPG: Operation not permitted

chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file LaunchU3.exe: Operation not permitted

chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file .plma: Operation not permitted

chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file LaunchU3.exe: Operation not permitted

chmod: Failed to clear ACL on file ubiquity.socket: Invalid argument

I was surprised to find exe files. I thought that was pc...

Anyway, I reset the users permissions to parental control and things seems to be back to normal again. These errors indicate that there's more to do, but I'm glad for this step forward.

I have found one remaining problem - I still have to enter my name several times to give me permission to read & write in their folders.

Thank you for all help!

Nov 21, 2011 6:39 PM in response to i_smile

I have found one remaining problem - I still have to enter my name several times to give me permission to read & write in their folders.

Thank you for all help!

Execpt in the Terminal (command line) that is normal. OS X protects all users from prying eyes, even from admins.

And, from a few posts ago, yes, that is the same command. You don't have to separate the options (ie -R -N), and ~ means the logged in user's home folder.

Problem with permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.