Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i play iphoto videos on apple tv

Is it possible to watch videos that are in iPhoto on Apple TV? I selected the checkbox marked "include videos" in iPhoto, but I haven't seen them show up yet.

Thanks!

Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 1:47 PM

AFAIK, not directly.

What I've done is to create a Smart Album using the keyword "movie" (which is automatically created for each movie imported into iPhoto) - this will put all of your movies into one album.

From that Album, select the movie you want to see on the AppleTV then, at the top, click "File" and "Reveal in Finder" - this will open a finder window and highlight the file you had highlighted in iPhoto.

Right click that file in Finder and select "Open with" and clidk on iTunes. This will start playing the video. From there click the button on the bottom right of the video and you'll be able to select the AppleTV as your output.

Sounds harder than it is - and really - there is no reason that Apple could not enable output of these movies to the AppleTV directly from iPhoto. If there is a way - I would sure like to know it.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2011 1:47 PM in response to DrumDude614

AFAIK, not directly.

What I've done is to create a Smart Album using the keyword "movie" (which is automatically created for each movie imported into iPhoto) - this will put all of your movies into one album.

From that Album, select the movie you want to see on the AppleTV then, at the top, click "File" and "Reveal in Finder" - this will open a finder window and highlight the file you had highlighted in iPhoto.

Right click that file in Finder and select "Open with" and clidk on iTunes. This will start playing the video. From there click the button on the bottom right of the video and you'll be able to select the AppleTV as your output.

Sounds harder than it is - and really - there is no reason that Apple could not enable output of these movies to the AppleTV directly from iPhoto. If there is a way - I would sure like to know it.

Feb 25, 2012 5:16 PM in response to DrumDude614

To view iPhoto movies on your Apple TV, without having to import all of your movies into iTunes, just go to the Advanced menu in iTunes, select "Choose photos to share..." and you'll get a dropdown of your iPhoto library with all of the albums.

You can either share everything and then filter the movies visually on your TV, or just share specific albums. To make it simple and consistent, in iPhoto you can create a Smart Album that will always show all of your movies, including recent imports, by slecting "Photo" in the criteria dropdown, and then "Is movie".

Then on your Apple TV, under Computers, select the computer with the iPhoto library you just shared and you'll be able to browse photos by album, events, photos, etc. and your movies will appear right alongside the photos.

Sep 18, 2012 10:10 AM in response to ObeyTheFist

This worked for me. I use an older Mac Pro to house my library, and have iTunes Home Sharing with the new Airport Extreme. On my AppleTV 3 in my living room, the videos play, though they can hiccup occasionally because of slowish buffering.

I combined this with the above tip to make a smart album in iPhoto, and that works fine, too, so all my iPhoto videos are available on the AppleTV in one folder.

It takes a while for the thumbnails to load in the album on AppleTV, however, so at first you're looking at a field of blank icons and it's hard to find the one you want to play with only the dates as your guide. Eventually all the thumbnails loaded, though.

This worked for iPhone 4S videos, as well as many older videos shot with a variety of compact still cameras and camera phones, file types going back as early as 2005.

Dec 9, 2012 12:56 AM in response to KevinGarnett

I am using iPhoto 9.4.2 and iTunes 11.

I created the Smart Album as suggested above. (It works within iPhoto.)

I went share menu on the iTunes menu bar, then clicked share photos, and checked the "include videos" box.

I then went to Apple TV in iTunes, Photos and checked the Smart Album that I had created.

However that Smart Album is showing as having zero "0" content and that Smart Album does not appear under "My Photos" on the Apple TV (on the tv).

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you

Dec 9, 2012 12:57 AM in response to ObeyTheFist

I am using iPhoto 9.4.2 and iTunes 11.

I created the Smart Album as suggested above. (It works within iPhoto.)

I went share menu on the iTunes menu bar, then clicked share photos, and checked the "include videos" box.

I then went to Apple TV in iTunes, Photos and checked the Smart Album that I had created.

However that Smart Album is showing as having zero "0" content and that Smart Album does not appear under "My Photos" on the Apple TV (on the tv).

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you

Jan 24, 2013 11:49 AM in response to ObeyTheFist

I finally got it to work! by taking ObeyTheFist suggestion of making a smartfolder in iPhoto (I have iPhoto 11) but for some reason just creating a folder on the left didn't work. I had to click "Add To" on the bottom right then choose Album and add my movies. Also, an Avi wouldn't work, only the mp4 movies show up.

So I'll just repost Obey's response since it worked and add my notes above. Hope this helps.

To view iPhoto movies on your Apple TV, without having to import all of your movies into iTunes, just go to the Advanced menu in iTunes, select "Choose photos to share..." and you'll get a dropdown of your iPhoto library with all of the albums.

You can either share everything and then filter the movies visually on your TV, or just share specific albums. To make it simple and consistent, in iPhoto you can create a Smart Album that will always show all of your movies, including recent imports, by slecting "Photo" in the criteria dropdown, and then "Is movie".

Then on your Apple TV, under Computers, select the computer with the iPhoto library you just shared and you'll be able to browse photos by album, events, photos, etc. and your movies will appear right alongside the photos.

how can i play iphoto videos on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.