Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITune keeps asking me to restore IPhone 4 after error in updating OS 5.0.1

My IPhone 4 froze while updating to OS 5.0.1. I guess this was because I updated ITune first and without restart Windows 7 I atttempted to update IPhone. I got an error message code "1603" So I push Power button and Home button at the same time to return from the freeze. And, restarted the Windows.

After rebooting, I connected my IPhone to the PC, ITune promted and asked me restore it with options 1: restore from backup and 2: restore as a new phone. At that time ITune did not recognize my IPhone to be the Apple device that it synced all the time. Because I afraid to lose any data in IPhone, I chose " Option 1: restore from Backup. Succefully, I got all data: photos, email message and contacts, but music and apps are gone from my IPhone.

So I reconnected my IPhone to the PC. Then ITune asked me to restore it again and again.

Currently, ITune library contains my apps and songs. All I want to do is let ITune to recognize my IPhone and sync with IPhone so my IPhone gets the apps and song again.

Please help me. Is it OK to choose "Option 2: restore as a new phone"? Will it erase all apps and songs in ITune Library or transfer them into IPhone?

Thanks,

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 4:14 PM

I am having a very similar issue with my iPhone 4s. I switched it out at the apple store today, plugged it in (OSX) and restored it from my backup. The restore went fine, but instead of giving me access to the options, it wants me to restore it again, and again...

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2011 4:14 PM in response to NCreek

I am having a very similar issue with my iPhone 4s. I switched it out at the apple store today, plugged it in (OSX) and restored it from my backup. The restore went fine, but instead of giving me access to the options, it wants me to restore it again, and again...

Nov 19, 2011 1:17 AM in response to NCreek

Yes same problem here. I have a 3GS iPhone. My IPhone 4 froze while updating to OS 5.0.1. I accidentally updated ITunes while I attempted to update the iPhone. The iPhone froze, so I've rebooted everything. The backup procedure did brought the iPhone back to life. But now I cannot use it with iTunes on my computer anymore. It keeps asking me to Set Up My iPhone by Restoring from a backup. I did this about 15 times now. Nothing helps. I can no longer move items between my iTunes on my computer and my iPhone. Thanks for any advise.

Nov 19, 2011 1:29 AM in response to NCreek

Please help me. Is it OK to choose "Option 2: restore as a new phone"? Will it erase all apps and songs in ITune Library or transfer them into IPhone?

After the restore is finished, it will sync with your iTunes library and transfer all apps, music and media to the phone. You do lose all saved app data and the organization of the app icons you may have done.

Nov 19, 2011 1:38 AM in response to NCreek

IMHO I've found a solution! (after reading more on the varios boards I did):

1. Dissconected the iPhone from the computer

2. On the iTunes Edit -> Preferences -> Devices (TAB)

3. Erased all of the listed Backups (NOTE! I did backup the iPhone 15 times already ...)

4. Clicked the Rest Synched History button

5. Connected the iPhone to the computer

PRESTO! Now it synched some apps and music and allowed me to use the iTunes on my computer as always.

Thanks for everyone that helped me figure this out! 🙂🙂

Hope this helps ...

Sep 20, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Bafi008

This was the solution to my problem upgrading to OS 6 on my iPhone 4. After both the iTune and OS were upgrading at the same time, I lost everything. iTune brought my phone back but not my apps and keept asking me for restoring. Did it a few times until I gave up and saw this post. The great thing is that the apps are been restored to the same groups or folders I had before. I can see some previous deleted apps downloading too

Sep 23, 2012 8:52 PM in response to caconando

I have spent the last 3 hours batteling with itunes to update my iphone. It got stuck in the restore mode, and it took about 5 attempts to fix it. Now that I have fixed it, itunes keeps asking me to update from last back up again and again and again. *** apple! Make your stuff easier to do and or fix. sooooo irratated this makes me NOT want the iphone 5.

ITune keeps asking me to restore IPhone 4 after error in updating OS 5.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.