Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Netflix audio/subtitles on AppleTV

So the AppleTV 4.4.3 update finally added Netflix for Mexico and it works fine, except for one little problem: When I tried to watch a movie, the language was set to "Portuguese", when I usually have it set to "English" when I watch it on the web. How can I change the language and subtitles so they reflect on AppleTV?

AppleTV 2

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 9:04 AM

Nevermind, I found it. You can apply those changes by clicking the center button on the AppleTV remote.

44 replies

Nov 22, 2011 9:23 PM in response to Macbatgirl

I really wanted to love Netflix Mexico, but I don't at the moment. Hopefully there will be another update soon which adds a bit of consistency - at least a language/subtitle options menu for all movies. By playing around I've found that if you press at the top of the black ring on the remote, a box comes up with a short description of the film and occasionally it says hold the centre button for options. If it doesn't say that then you just have to watch the movie in Brazilian Portuguese and make up your own dialogue.

Dec 18, 2011 8:14 PM in response to osci

I'm having the same problem - in fact I am getting all the movies in English, but there are some which I would like to have in Spanish (for the kids mostly). I have verified on my machine that the movie has a Spanish soundtrack, but when I press and hold the middle button on the Apple TV, all I get is a menu to change the subtitles, but I cannot find where to change the audio. I have also tried changing my default language in Netflix, to no avail.

Anyone has other suggestions?

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2011 6:48 AM in response to ZZamboni

Have you tried in the Apple TV Settings menu, under Audio, to set the Language and Subtitles options to the desired language? I currently have English as the default Language (it was set to auto) and Spanish as the Subtitles. Yesterday I was watching something on Netflix and the subtitles appeared automatically without using the remote. Of course this may depend on the availability of audio/subtitles Netflix offers.

Dec 27, 2011 6:36 PM in response to Macbatgirl

I am having issues setting the Audio Language in the Netflix App, for exaple in "the hunt fo the red octuber", through the website I can set up the audio language to English, Portuguese and Spanish, and the subtitles to Spanish and Portuguese, but in Apple TV 2 the Audio Language is always set to Portuguese, disregarding the Apple TV configuration which is Audio: English and Subtitles: Spanish. I also tried changing it to Default, but teh result was no different.

If I press the settings button, the ATV gives me the option to change de subtitles, but not the audio.

I am using netflix in Latin America.

Any one has a sugestion????

Jan 3, 2012 1:11 AM in response to Macbatgirl

I've tried every suggestion posted here . . . the bottom line is, there is no language changing option, only subtitle. I think this is an issue that has to be fixed asap. I keep getting all the movies in portugese even after I change the audio & video options and the general language, and the same movie can be changed in my ps3, because it does have that option. This is getting ridiculous, it's a major bug that I feel is getting no attention . . .

Setting Netflix audio/subtitles on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.