Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data usage doesn't match phone vs. carrier

My wife got her first iPhone one week ago today. Her data usage seems to be really high compared to what I do, so I've been paying attention to avoid an overage charge.

In the first week, At&t's website says she has used 75 MB, but Settings>General>Usage>Cellular Usage> shows less than half that amount (total of both sent and recieved). Either the phone is wrong, or At&t is overcharging. This is a new iPhone account on an At&t line that has not previously had a data plan. She is covered by wifi both at home and work, so I can't figure out where the big data usage is coming from, but At&t's detailed usage is showing big chunks during times she should be on wifi.

My line is grandfathered on an unlimited plan, so I've never had to worry about data overages, but this issue is making me wonder what's going on at At&t.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:39 PM

I have the EXACT scenario as you, it is driving both me and my wife crazy. Near as I can tell, after hours of research and even a trip to the Genius Bar is that the new OS (5.0/5.0.1) goes to 3G as soon as the phone locks regardless if wifi is available. It seems to be a bug in the new OS as my previous phones (or OS versions) never did this. There's really nothing to be done except disable 3G in the settings. Also, file a bug report on Apple's site (please do to raise awareness) at http://www.apple.com/feedback

In our scenario I can see large chunks of data for times when one of us was updating apps which started on wifi but appear to finish on 3G after we let our phones lock. I'm also pretty confident that the new iCloud is contributing to the midnight data usage as well since that's all that is really new from previous OS versions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2011 3:39 PM in response to daveywest

I have the EXACT scenario as you, it is driving both me and my wife crazy. Near as I can tell, after hours of research and even a trip to the Genius Bar is that the new OS (5.0/5.0.1) goes to 3G as soon as the phone locks regardless if wifi is available. It seems to be a bug in the new OS as my previous phones (or OS versions) never did this. There's really nothing to be done except disable 3G in the settings. Also, file a bug report on Apple's site (please do to raise awareness) at http://www.apple.com/feedback

In our scenario I can see large chunks of data for times when one of us was updating apps which started on wifi but appear to finish on 3G after we let our phones lock. I'm also pretty confident that the new iCloud is contributing to the midnight data usage as well since that's all that is really new from previous OS versions.

Jul 11, 2014 7:09 PM in response to daveywest

I just want to add that I am having the same problem as you as a Verizon customer.

I am running iOS 7.1.2. iPhone 4S

iOS says my cellular data usage is 184 MB, for instance.

Verizon says that I have used 189.44 MB.

I read that iOS data tracking is buggy, so I downloaded DataMan, a data usage tracking app I was told that was good and accurate. According to DataMan, it says that I have used 185.2 MB.

It seems that either Verizon is overstating my usage, or iOS is so flawed that even third party data tracking apps are reporting inaccurate usage. I think the former.

Jul 11, 2014 8:05 PM in response to lizdance40

Hi lizdance40,

Not sure how knowing how quickly I reached 185 MB relates to the discrepancy in reported data usage amongst data usage trackers, but for your info, it took me 20 days.

(Yes, I know this thread is 3 years old, but the topic is relevant to my issue. Replying here is better than starting a new thread on an old topic, don't you think? It worked, you replied.)

Cheers

Jul 11, 2014 8:14 PM in response to cride

accurate recording of data usage is a sticky issue, especially with Verizon. More customers should monitor as you are doing.

i Was with Verizon for 20 years. We left for AT&T price deal. But a bonus was how little data we are using now compared to Verizon, despite adding 3 more devices to the plan. With 5 devices we struggled to stay under 6 GB a month. With AT&T we go crazy with streaming music and using GPS navigation and we have trouble getting to 2.5 GBs .

with Verizon, I usually turned my mobile data off when away from wifi. Dumb huh? Why have a smart phone you can't use cause the carrier pads data?

i Guess I'm not impressed with such a tiny discrepancy. I am used to padding by 300% by Verizon

Jul 13, 2014 8:16 AM in response to lizdance40

Whoa! 300% dats padding. That's crazy. I guess VZW padding by a few MB now means they have gotten a bit more honest over the years. Nonetheless, I've emailed Apple and VZW about it. I hope it will encourage Apple to tell VZW to quit making them look inaccurate and make VWZ realize that they better watch out trying to cheat their customers.

Data usage doesn't match phone vs. carrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.