Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just updated my Iphone 4 to 5.0.1 and now with my jawbone ERA connected, none of the sounds come out of the Iphone speakers except for the ringer, why?

After updating my iphone 4 to OS 5.0.1, I get no sounds from the phone speaker for anything other than the ringer, when my jawbone ERA is connected. It all comes through the jawbone. Why won't it go through both like it did with the previous OS?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, using a Jawbone ERA

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:57 PM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2011 1:00 PM in response to KiltedTim

Running into this same issue myself. This was NOT the case with my Jawbone prior to upgrading to my 4S and OS 5.0.1. As far as I'm concerned this is a pretty significant oversight. On my last phone I could keep the Jawbone on and connected to my phone all the time, but would have no problem hearing text alerts, meeting reminders and phonecalls. Now, unless I walk around like a bluetool with my headset in my ear all day long I'm not going to hear any notifications from my phone.

Definitely a bug in either the Jawbone or iOS.

I'll see if re-pairing the headset makes a difference - but I'll venture to guess not.

Steve

Nov 29, 2011 1:26 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I can't say that I had the same experience. I had an Icon for well over a year paired to my iPhone 4 and A2DP was activated on it. The only problem I ever ran into was that occasionally my music would start playing through it if I plugged it into my car docking cable (which would start the iPod playback). But, as I understood it that was partially what the A2DP protocol was faciliating.

Other than that, had no problems hearing notifications of any kind, with A2DP enabled while my headset was on and paired. Those tones never played through my headset. Phone would ring, and in my headset I would hear "call from - - - - - "

I didn't comment before that I tried to solve this by turning OFF A2DP. It does fix the issue with notifications playing through my headset – however it created a whole new problem, where if I voice-dial from my headset, I can no longer hear the audio from the iPhone through the headset even though the headset is the current audio output. I have to switch it on and off again, and then dial through my phone. It's extremely frustrating, but since it's worse to not hear people talking then the actual ringtone, I've re-enabled A2DP, and just shut the headset off.

Kind of ridiculous for a $80 piece of electronics.

Jul 7, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

On iPhone 6 when the screen is locked you can slide up some controls from the bottom. Here you will find the name of your headset on the bottom right. Click on that and you switch your headset connection between A2DP and simple-phone mode (where alerts, notifications and so on are played in the iPhone speakers). I can't say if a similar control is found on iPhone 5 or earlier.

I just updated my Iphone 4 to 5.0.1 and now with my jawbone ERA connected, none of the sounds come out of the Iphone speakers except for the ringer, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.