Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.7.2 Lion Server on xServe won't mount Fibre Channel Raid

I have upgarded my xServe from SnowLeopard to Lion Server and my InfoTrend fibre channel raid won't mount anymore.

In the Fibre Channel PrefPane the FC link to the Raid is up, but in the System Overview i see the SCSI Target device but no volume.

If i boot back to Snow Leopard the Raid is recordnized normaly.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Ben

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 11:14 PM

We have the same issue. According to Infortrend they need to make a new firmware for them to work with Lion.

They don't know if they are going to do it or not.

34 replies

Jan 31, 2012 2:32 AM in response to j_august

The Problem is that Apple has changed the way the LUNs of the RAID are adressed by the Host OS.

At first thought it would depend on the Controller, but this bug is present on my Apple equipped LSI Card and also with an ATTO Card i tried.

I do not know if this new behaviour is "industry standart" or just a nonstandart Apple thing.

I will call Infortrend on this again to get to know if they will fix this any time soon or if we have to by new gear.

I hered that this problem does not occurre with newer Infortrend Raid systems...

Jan 31, 2012 2:39 PM in response to j_august

Just got off of support call with Apple. FYI my config is..

Mac Pro /8-Core/2.4ghz/westmere/48GB RAM

Atto 42ES (using port 1) driver v 3.47, config utility 4.01

Infortrend A08F-G2422 (using port A) not sure what FW is

2 boot HDD

1) Lion 10.7.2

2) SL 10.6.8

Under SL Infortrend mounts on desktop. Under Lion it does not mount. I am connected directly to the RAID. Under SL Atto must be set to Arbitrated Loop or it does not mount. This is direct attached storage... NO SWITCH.

Apple support advised:

- Point to Point

or

- Arbitrated Loop with Switch.

And, they can not advise me further as I am not using Apple RAID or HBA. So, I'm hunting down an Apple HBA and I'll throw a switch on in there. Hmmmm.....

I called Infortrend, but I'm having a problem getting a call back thus far.

Will test later this evening and post up results.

Jan 31, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Sascha Linn

Well this is just weird....

Apple Support wrote me back asking for some log files, etc. for the bug report. I hadn't logged into the server with anything other than ssh for a few days. So, imagine my surprise when I log in and see two new un-initialized drives waiting for me on the desktop!? I did nothing to the server. No new software, no changes to config of either the array or the FC cards. But somehow, after just sitting around for a few days, my LUNS magically appeared.

I'm not gonna put anything important on them for awhile - Till I'm certain they'll stick around and not go poof.

But, this has to be at least somewhat encouraging for other InforTrends users out there (I think?)

Jan 31, 2012 3:04 PM in response to Sascha Linn

Wow! Sascha,

Please let me know what HBA you are using and what the settings are?

1) HBA (apple, atto, etc)

2) Is it direct attached or via FC Switch

3) Settings of card... AL, PTP, etc.... on the Atto there is a config utility on the others I have no idea, but if you know that would be great!

Maybe if I just leave mine sitting there! But, I have a ton of data on mine.

thanks!

Jan 31, 2012 4:40 PM in response to j_august

Xserve, Direct Attached to Infortrends A16F-G2430 via two diff HBAs (I had tried many combos... Both controllers in one, both in the other, split, etc. but here's how it was when I left it alone)

1 LSI7204EP

1 LSI7404EP

They are connected point-to-point. One controller to each HBA.

No settings on the cards other than "Automatic". Firmware 1.3.14.0 EFI 1.05.03.00 for both.

Firmware on the InforTrends EonStor is 3.73J.03.

I had applied that firmware to the Array - but that was a cpl weeks ago and I know they hadn't attached as of at least 2 days after that had been applied. So, sometime between 2 days after and ~2 wks after... the LUNs magically appeared.

I'm still a bit concerned that OS 10.7.X isn't officially supported by Infortrends... but it's better than not having my array visible at all.

Jan 31, 2012 9:36 PM in response to Sascha Linn

OK... So the Apple Care support call was not that productive. They were very nice, however, they basically had no idea what I was talking about. I was generally asking about the difference in LUN handling from 10.6 to 10.7 and they gave me the canned response of "you are not using Apple Hardware so we can't really help you, we are really sorry...." This was after being transferred to the "Enterprise Storage Group" or something like that.

So in my travels I found a tech note from another apple list which basically explains what happened between 10.6 and 10.7.

I'm not "that hardcore" but some of you guys will really get what is going on here. I'm a bit of an IT neanderthal but what has changed as some here have pointed to is that in 10.7 the OS does its own FC multipathing.

Here is what Manjo Radhakrishnan from Apple said...

"10.7 does its own FC multipathing. This has changed from 10.6 which did target based multipathing ( based on WWNN ). On 10.7 this has changed to lun based multipathing ( based on the unique lun identifier in the device identification VPD page ).

If the target supports ALUA ( Asymmetric logical unit access ), the host will do IOs only to the target ports configured as "Active-Optimized" for a particular lun. If there is no ALUA support, all paths to a particular lun will be considered active-optimized and IOs will be done across all the paths.

Ideally if the target does not support ALUA, you should configure the luns such that a lun is visible only across the ports of one of the target controllers ( lun affinity ) to prevent lun thrashing."

So here is the link to the thread...

http://lists.apple.com/archives/ata-scsi-dev/2011/Jul/msg00001.html

If someone can translate this from smart-guy into dummy-end-user and tell me how to fix my infortrend boxes under 10.7 I'll buy you a bottle of really nice tequila (or several cases of yoohoo).

thanks!

Jonathon

10.7.2 Lion Server on xServe won't mount Fibre Channel Raid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.