Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to burn a blu-ray disc but having problems.

I used "share" in FCP 7 and output to "hard drive" and I think I successfully made a "disc image" but now when I try to burn it with my new LG interior blu-ray burner using disc utility and having tried 2 different brands of of BD-R (Kodak and Panasonic) the Disc Utility says "the disc inserted does not have enough free space"

The disc image is 21 GB and blank BD-R's I have tried are 25gb and I have burned DVD disk images on to dvd-r's using this device (LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH10LS30). I am using 10.6.8 operating system.

My questions would be: Do I need Lion to burn a Blu-Ray disc image? Do I need Toast? What is wrong? Do I need a special driver. I asked OWC (where I bought the drive) and they said I need Toast but I that contradicts what I have read. I am using a Mac Pro 8-core early '08 with 10.6.8

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 6:52 AM

I have an LG Blu-ray recorder from MCETech that doesn't work either. I just tested a Sony Blu-ray recorder (BWU-200S) and it works perfectly with Compressor.

7 replies

Nov 19, 2011 8:38 AM in response to dcannonski

It would have been helpful if you had put this information in your original post. First troubleshooting step is to make sure the hardware is working.

I don't have a blu-ray burner so I'm just guessing about this stuff. But I'll probably be getting one shortly so keep us informed if you make any progress.

When you put a blank blu-ray disk in the drive, does it show up on the desktop, the way a blank dvd shows up when you put in a blank dvd in a dvd burner?

Is there anything in system preferences for the blu-ray burner the way there is for cd's and dvd's?

Nov 19, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Actually I had not yet tried this when I made my original post, I was hoping to avoid having to re-encode the movie. So yes, it appears that the burner is working and it does burn regular DVD's (not blu-rays) from a disk image using Disk Utility and it does burn blu-rays from final cut 7 using "share to blu-ray drive" but I can't seem to burn an inserted blu-ray disc using just the finder or Disk utility no matter the size of the file I am trying to burn, whether it is a big movie image .img encoded for blu-ray or just a tiny jpeg the Disk Utility immediatly tells me that there in not enough space on the disc. At this point all indications are implying that I need Toast or something like that to burn from a disk image so I am leaning toward biting the bullet and buying toast. I will update this discussion after I do that.

I am trying to burn a blu-ray disc but having problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.