Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing could not be activated (11556)

Anybody any ideas what this is about?

I have inherited an iMac from my parents (early2009). I am trying to get it to access my main computer's library (MPB, both running Lion, both iTunes 10..5.1 (42)).

I have full admin rights on the iMac.

In iTunes, sharing is enabled and sharing is shown in the sidebar ('Home Sharing'). Clicking on Home sharing it asks me for my apple ID ... then tells me that it could not be activated because an error occured (11556).

I have done a search but most of the hits relate to iTunes 8 (a couple of years ago). They generally talk about de-authorisation ... I have no idea how to do this ... I do not know what ID was used when it was authorised ... and cannot find a way of hosing iTunes completely.

Another observation probably not related ... the preferences general tabs are different.

My MBP, bought from Apple, talks about 'Films' and 'TV programmes' while my parent's iMac (bought at their local UK store) talks about 'Movies' and 'TV Shows'. I do not think that this is related since the two have not begun to talk to each other yet! Is there a localization setting somewhere?

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:31 AM

I love this Forum ... 2 hours of fustration ... I finally post here ... 5 minutes later I solve it myself 🙂

Bloody Apple ... is the short answer ... I do not use the iTunes store ... never have done ... cannot see the point (except iTunesU) ... but I have to have it enabled for home sharing!!! It was disabled in home preferences.

Once I enabled it, I was able to authorise the computer and use home sharing ... and then I could disable the store again on both computers and still share (at the moment).

Why bloody Apple? No instructions ... no documentation ... arcane and unnescesary setup ... obscure error messages ... more time wasted on what should have n]been either on the 'Home share' panel or in the error message.😠

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2011 12:31 AM in response to Folbo

I love this Forum ... 2 hours of fustration ... I finally post here ... 5 minutes later I solve it myself 🙂

Bloody Apple ... is the short answer ... I do not use the iTunes store ... never have done ... cannot see the point (except iTunesU) ... but I have to have it enabled for home sharing!!! It was disabled in home preferences.

Once I enabled it, I was able to authorise the computer and use home sharing ... and then I could disable the store again on both computers and still share (at the moment).

Why bloody Apple? No instructions ... no documentation ... arcane and unnescesary setup ... obscure error messages ... more time wasted on what should have n]been either on the 'Home share' panel or in the error message.😠

Home sharing could not be activated (11556)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.