Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help, mac won't turn on, tried everything!

Yesterday I was on the internet using my iMac (i think it is the early 2008 intel model)

The mac completely turned off on its own, and when I tried to turn it back on, it didn't work.

The screen is completely black, no grey or blue screen or any kind of light coming from it, the same as when its turned off.

I could hear it whirring as if it had started up, I'm not sure if this is the sound of the fan or not. There is no chime and no LED light.

I am completely sure it is plugged in at both ends, i have plugged and unplugged the power cable multiple times but still nothing.

I tried resetting the SMC (i.e holding power while plugging in powerb cable then pressing power button) - loads of dust seemed to blow out, and the fan was whirring alot faster/louder, but nothing changed after that.

I also tried holding cmd-option-p-r after pressing the power button, but that didn't make any difference at all. (PRAM reset)

Loads of important data is on this computer, I really need to get it working again

I do tend to leave the mac on for long periods of time, so it may be to do with this.

Thanks

Jethro

iMac

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 6:16 AM

Have you tried to 'Safe Boot' - start up holding down the shift key, until a progress shows. Ok to stop holding the shift key when the progress bar appears. If it boots restart normally from the Apple menu.

Have you tried booting with the grey install CD/DVD that came with the Mac? Disk in optical drive and restart holding down the 'c' key - hopefully it'll boot. If it does, at the 'choose your language' screen, make your choice. At the next screen from the Menu bar select 'Utilities' and then Disk Utility. In the window that appears click on the disk at the top of the list (disk manufacturers disk ID) and check that the S.M.A.R.T status is verified. Click on Macintosh HD and select verify disk - if it comes up with any errors select 'repair disk'. If you get any fixed errors repeat 'repair disk' until you get a clean pass. Restart normally from the Apple menu.

It sounds like you don't have a back up of all your files - get a back up drive, firewire or USB, as you are in danger of losing your data. You can backup using Time Machine (if your OS supports - you don't say what version of OS X you are running) or by making a clone of your HD using SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2011 6:16 AM in response to jethrofromlondon

Have you tried to 'Safe Boot' - start up holding down the shift key, until a progress shows. Ok to stop holding the shift key when the progress bar appears. If it boots restart normally from the Apple menu.

Have you tried booting with the grey install CD/DVD that came with the Mac? Disk in optical drive and restart holding down the 'c' key - hopefully it'll boot. If it does, at the 'choose your language' screen, make your choice. At the next screen from the Menu bar select 'Utilities' and then Disk Utility. In the window that appears click on the disk at the top of the list (disk manufacturers disk ID) and check that the S.M.A.R.T status is verified. Click on Macintosh HD and select verify disk - if it comes up with any errors select 'repair disk'. If you get any fixed errors repeat 'repair disk' until you get a clean pass. Restart normally from the Apple menu.

It sounds like you don't have a back up of all your files - get a back up drive, firewire or USB, as you are in danger of losing your data. You can backup using Time Machine (if your OS supports - you don't say what version of OS X you are running) or by making a clone of your HD using SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner.

Nov 19, 2011 8:33 AM in response to jethrofromlondon

Obviously there's a risk but maybe it's not the hard drive but some other component. I'd explain your concerns to whoever you get to fix it and try to get them to do a backup of the drive for you, or give you the drive which you could try putting in and enclosure to milk the data off it, unless it turns out it is the drive that's hosed.

All drives will fail eventually, sometimes after several years but it can happen at any time. Some drives die as soon as the computer is switched on for the first time.

I'm sure you don't want to hear it but back-up drives are cheap and essential.

Please help, mac won't turn on, tried everything!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.