Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I print or c+p to Word my document is shorter than it shows on Pages. Help?

I've looked all over the forums -- I tried turning comments off, checking default page size (it's on US letter) and making sure it's at 100%. When I'm typing in a document, i'll reach the end of the tenth page, for example, but when I print I will only have like 9.5 pages. I'm printing on a public computer, and I'm sure my university is using the same size of paper as anywhere else in the nation. The same thing happens if I copy and paste into Word -- suddenly I have only 9.5 pages. Makes having to reach exact document lengths a gigantic pain.

Also, I just went in to check on page size and it says 8.5 x 11, but when I look at the ruler it looks like it's only 8 x 11.

I'm on the latest Pages, fully updated, on a Macbook Pro w/ OS X 10.7.2.

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 7:45 AM

14 replies

Nov 19, 2011 11:45 AM in response to limsteph

In modern word processors, pages have no physical existence.

The application splits the document in logical pages according to the paper size, the margins, the header/footer settings, the fonts used …

If you want to get the same organisations of pages, insert page breaks to split pages where you want.

The drawback is that you may get an awful high blank area at the bottom of some pages

or,

if one day you use a font which is greater in Word, some pages would expand to an other page.

In both case the result will be awful.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 19 janvier 2011 20:45:29

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Nov 19, 2011 3:19 PM in response to fruhulda

fruhulda wrote:

It is probably due to that Pages and Word, or Mac and Windows handle the fonts a little differently. handle fonts and character a little differently.

Which is in fact exactly what happens.

There are several issues, Pages uses Apple's ATSUI text rendering which Word does not.

Text exported from Pages to .doc seems to sneak in an additional return at the top of pages after Page Breaks.

The O.P. has not said whether they have set up the formatting to match the original, which would need to match everything, font, line spacing, indents, margins, space before etc down to the finest details. A quick look should tell what matches.

Peter

Nov 19, 2011 4:17 PM in response to Rysz

If you read the O.P.'s post he says "I'm printing on a public computer".

Nothing about how he got the material onto the "public computer" or what that public computer is.

Given the general lack of awareness by most users, especially those with a "higher" education, of anything except maybe the logo on the screen, I'm taking that to be they are on a university PC and probably MsWord.

Peter

Nov 19, 2011 4:22 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I think the OP meant a public printer, not a public computer.

OP also stated: "But let's say I don't c+p into Word -- if Pages shows I have ten full pages, shouldn't ten full pages print when I print?" To me that means printing from Pages.

But your general point is valid.

As I suggested, it's worth checking the margin settings.

Nov 19, 2011 4:27 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I've used a variety ways to get my document onto the "public computer." Dropbox, USB drive, etc. Half the time I'm opening the document on a Mac (yes, a university Mac), not a PC. The rest of the time, I'm using my Macbook Pro to print wirelessly to a university printer, which to me means there's no reason it should be altered.

Perhaps I should clarify my question -- I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the page count more reliable. I never had a problem with this in Word -- if I finished the tenth page on the screen and hit print, ten full pages would print. Now, if I finish ten pages on Pages, when I print (even when I print *directly* from pages, wireless) it only fills like 9.5 physical pages, making it impossible for me to know how many pages I actually have until I acually print it out. Really inconvenient for when professors ask to fill exactly ten pages -- I have to physically print it to see where my page count actually is.

Nov 19, 2011 4:34 PM in response to Rysz

It could be anything, but however we second guess it, it is quite likely that if they are actually printing from their Macbook to a public printer they do not have the printer drivers for the printer installed.

Highly likely the University is using some kind of Windows based Print server which is doing who knows what to the file.

As with all problems, you test across devices and software to isolate the problem. If it prints fine at home on the O.P.'s printer and elsewhere then the problem is the university printer set-up or what the user has done to get the file there.

Peter

Nov 19, 2011 4:40 PM in response to limsteph

There is a thought that however the file is being served, that the line spacing calculation is off due to the way Windows and Mac software works this out differently.

Are you using "Exactly" as your line spacing and nominating that in points?

You never said whether anything else is changing like line endings, or text is moving from the original any other way in the layout.

Peter

When I print or c+p to Word my document is shorter than it shows on Pages. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.