Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac keeper

Is mac keeper a virus?

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 9:03 AM

17 replies

Nov 19, 2011 10:17 AM in response to thomas_r.

MacKeeper, while a nasty piece of work that is best avoided, is not malware...

Actually, it is malware. I came to that conclusion after seeing reports from users who had installed the trial version and then tried to uninstall it using the developer's uninstaller. They were consistently seeing popups advertising the product. The popups stopped when they followed the instructions linked below. The combination of trial version and defective uninstaller is malware in the fullest sense of the word, and in my opinion users should be so advised.

how to uninstall MacKeeper « Phil Stokes

Nov 19, 2011 10:37 AM in response to Linc Davis

Well, like I said, MacKeeper is a nasty bit of work. And certainly it has similarities to how malware operates. I'd never let this software anywhere near my machine! However, that doesnt change two basic facts:

1) MacKeeper IS NOT the same thing as MacDefender.

2) MacKeeper is not, AFAIK, recognized as malware by any current anti-virus software

I don't think we need to call it something it isn't in order to get across the idea that the company is extremely shady and the product is crap and maybe even dangerous.

Nov 19, 2011 11:04 AM in response to thomas_r.

MacKeeper IS NOT the same thing as MacDefender.

Clearly not. I didn't say it was.

MacKeeper is not, AFAIK, recognized as malware by any current anti-virus software

Mac Defender wasn't recognized as malware, either, until quite some time after it appeared. That doesn't alter the fact that it was malware from day zero.

I don't think we need to call it something it isn't...

I'm not calling it something it isn't. It's a trojan, and that's what I'm calling it from now on.

Mar 5, 2012 5:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

This is a PS to all the MacKeeper discussions. I was unaware about all the bad things about it until I stumbled upon all the things said about it on this and other forums. I followed Phil Stokes un-install instructions, but he left out one crucial item: ENCRYPTION. It goes without saying that if you used that function of MacKeeper, you should un- encrypt BEFORE uninstalling MacKeeper, which I did. But that’s not enough. After having un-encrypted the folder(s), copy the contents to a new differently named folder. I didn’t do that. I lost all my crucial business and personal financial records, and was just left with an alias. I had to re-install MacKeeper, beg for help from MacKeeper, they connected via Teamviewer, used Terminal, made it all visible again, and it was fine. Had I left it in the AES encryption mode, there would have been no way to retrieve anything...

So:

1. Un-encrypt

2. Move contents to a different folder

3. Follow Phil Stokes

mac keeper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.