Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I mount external hard drive to Time Capsule and use it as external storage?

I have a 500GB external hard drive that I'd like to use on the Time Capsule as a hard drive to store mp3 and mp4 files. Can I attach it to the Time Capsule and use it like this? Or does it just give an additional 500GB worth of back ups from my iMac?

Imac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:22 AM

3 replies

Nov 19, 2011 10:32 AM in response to trickytye

Can I attach it to the Time Capsule and use it like this?

Yes, if the drive has been formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)...preferable....or FAT32. Access to the files will somewhat slower than if you had the drive attached directly to your computer.

Have you given some thought as to how you will keep this drive backed up?

Time Machine will not be able to back up the drive that is attached to the Time Capsule's USB port.

But, it would be able to back up the drive if you connected it directly to your Mac and the drive was formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Nov 19, 2011 1:04 PM in response to trickytye

You can navigate to the drive by using the FInder.

Open Macintosh HD and look for the Time Capsule under the SHARED heading

Click on the Time Capsule icon and you will see two folders representing the Time Capsule drive (named "Data" unless you have changed it) and the attached drive

Double click on the drive that you want to mount it on the desktop

Can I mount external hard drive to Time Capsule and use it as external storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.