Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use mid 2009 iMac as PC monitor

I have a mid 2009 27" iMac on my desk and basically I also want to use it as a monitor for a Windows PC to easily switch to Windows when needed i.e. for testing Internet Explorer and Outlook e-mail rendering (without the bloat of running a VM and dragging down my system).

And in the evening when I want to play a game that would be nice too :).

My graphics card in the PC is a Radeon HD 6950 with HDMI, DVI and Displayport output. The iMac has a MiniDisplayport input.

To my understanding, to hook up an iMac as monitor all I will need is a Displayport to Mini Displayport cable. Connect the Displayport part to the PC GPU and the mini Displayport to the iMac's mini display port input.

The iMac will recognize my PC as an external display and upon connection will automatically enter Target Display mode and use the iMac as a monitor for the PC.

Pressing Command+F2 will switch between Windows and Mac.

( http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924"To leave Target Display mode, press Command + F2 on the keyboard of the 27-inch iMac that is in Target Display mode. To return to Target Display mode, press Command + F2 again.")

My question now is, is this correct? Will this even work?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:37 AM

1 reply

Nov 19, 2011 8:45 PM in response to Wolfr

This is exactly the way it should work.

To my knowledge in the past there were some problems with specific ATI cards but I am not sure which ones.

Either the ATI 5xxx or the 6xxx in a Windows PC produced problems when trying to connect to an iMac.

So, better check with the Support Forums of the manufacturer of your ATI card to ensure.

Stefan

Use mid 2009 iMac as PC monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.