Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.5.1 Home Sharing not working (Windows 7 64 Bit)

Looks like this is being reported by a fair few people on the forums - so just wanted to add my voice. Since iTunes 10.5 (same in iTunes 10.5.1) on Windows 7 64 Bit home sharing has stopped working. I have all firewalls disabled on my Windows machine, have tried all the normal suggestions of signing out and back into home sharing on all devices etc. iTunes Windows library does not show to other devices on the network including iPad, iPhone and Apple TV (all running latest firmware as of 19/11/2011). Not looking for any responses here from the community, as the problem clearly lies with iTunes on Windows. Apple please fix!

In the meantime the only way I can use my Apple TV is to sync purchases down to the iPad and then Airplay them to the Apple TV. Very annoying. Maybe time to look for an alternative for movie and TV downloads as Apple TV is pointless without it being able to connect to my Windows iTunes library and downloads..

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:47 AM

194 replies

Nov 23, 2011 6:36 AM in response to ckuan

Will give it a go - an odd suggestion by Apple considering Home sharing is running entirely on my Internal network (in my case between three gigabit switches) and has no need to route out to the Internet via my router.. unless there is some off Bonjour magic happening with cached routing info - highly highly unlikely..

Nov 26, 2011 1:30 AM in response to AJH205

Same here. Never had this issue before but now songs stop while playing, movies stop while playing, cannot see the shared PC. Go to PC, shut down then restart iTunes fixes the problem.....FOR A WHILE and then it all starts again. I just reset my ATV and reinstalled all updates...waste of time, the song remains the same.

Nov 26, 2011 9:26 AM in response to AJH205

I am having the exact same issue - Homesharing just cuts out - particularly with my Apple TV2. All updates have been applied all around. I know it is not the router because I can still access the Apple Store, NEtflicks, and other web-based services. It is just the Homesharing that gets dropped.

As others have mentioned, closing iTunes and restarting it again helps temporarily. Really seems to be an iTunes issue.

iTunes 10.5.1.42

Win 7 64 bit

Apple TV2 - 4.4.3 (3323)

Nov 26, 2011 3:00 PM in response to AJH205

Same issue here:

Downloaded 3 albumns off iPad, synced with MacBook Pro. Went to home computer which has home sharing turned on and it just searches for the MacBook Pro library.

The home computer is a Windows XP Machine, I'm running the latest version of iTunes 10.5x on both systems. MacBook Pro is running OSX Lion w/latest 7.x update.

Needs to get fixed otherwise I have to copy the files and manually move them. Huge PITA!

Nov 27, 2011 11:15 AM in response to AJH205

I had similar problems to those described.

After spending many hours on this thinking it was a PC firewall problem in my case it turned out to be an issue with my wireless Netgear DG834Gv5 router.

It appears that there is some problem with this router routing the multicast messages which I believe are used by Bonjour either between wired and wireless connections or between wireless connections. When I used a wired connection between PCs home sharing worked OK. I found that changing the wireless security from WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK fixed the problem and I can now access the library on my wired Win64 machine from other wireless PCs and mobile devices. It may well be a different issue here but I felt it worth sharing my experience in case it does help anyone.

iTunes 10.5.1 Home Sharing not working (Windows 7 64 Bit)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.