Skip navigation

What are people using instead of FCP X - given that it is so buggy?

1528 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 2:17 PM by innocentius RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
hedgert Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 19, 2011 11:26 AM

I've been trying to do some basic video editing (trimming clips, syncing sound and video taking separately and creating some titles between sections) - not rocket science - and FCP X clearly has the functionality to do all of this.

But the software is so buggy I'm spending more time waiting for it to restart or hoping that beach balls will disappear if I want instead of force quitting - that I'm just not making progress.  I'd happily use FCP X if it worked and was stable - but right now it isn't and I'm never sure after the countless crashes whether I'm going to lose the last set of edits I've done.

There must be more reliable software out there - what are other people's experiences - is there an obvious product to move to instead of FCP X while Apple get their act together?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iMac 27", Compressor 4
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (104,615 points)

You might want to see if there's a problem with your system, computer, graphics card, drives.

• Steve Connor1 Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

Disagree, it certainly Isn't perfect but I've been using for a couple of months on a number of relatively complex projects and I only get a couple of crashes a day at most

• JackSchwartz Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

One thing that really helped FCP X run faster on my Early 2009 iMac (4GB RAM) was to use Preference Manager and make my account an admin account.  Also, use Activity Monitor to shut down any background applications and use the "purge" command in Terminal to free up inactive RAM.

It made my FCP X run at least 10x faster.

I haven't crashed in weeks, and I've worked with every single day.

Because it doesn't happen in other apps means nothing. This application makes far, far greater demands on your system resources probably than any other application you're using.

Look at the system specs, drive specs, graphics card, and look at the media you're working with and how it's being supported.

I just crashed Safari responding to your message.

Really, truly people who have been using this application every day do not crash it. It doesn't. It's simply not true. If you do a search for why an app is crashing Google will find lists for anything. Sure you can find people crashing it.

Look on the upper left of this message. There are always people complaining about one app or another being buggy. iWeb, Motion, FCP6, FCP4 are all listed as buggy. The first three ceratinly aren't, and 6 was probably the most stabile version of FCP.

Please give your exact system specs, graphics card, drives, and the media your're working with. 1080p says nothing. Crashing may also be a product of what you're doing and how you're using the application.

• frog turtle Calculating status...

Hey, Tom.    You are not alone.   I have had similar troubles.  In the mean time I am using my old reliable Final Cut Express 4HD which has never let me down.   I really do like the design and thinking behind FInalCut X , but mostly the price which is why I jumped in.  Even purchased the excellent Ripple Training Course.   My fervent wish is that Apple pays close attention to the crash reports and keeps working on it.   I want this new system to succeed.  I need it too.      One thing I hope is that the "It Just Works" paternailistic dogma gets replaced with something more flexible and inclusive.   Automated systems are great up to a point, but manual control is what making movies is all about for me.  I need a simple, obvious path to eneable this.  Lion has totally screwed up my perfectly functional file management practices with it's automated back-up / duplication system.  Leopard wasn't broke, but Apple sure as **** "fixed" it.   Echoes of the Windows Vista move.

OK, you're not going to give exact specs on your media. The app is crashing for you. I believe you. Whatever. I'm done.

Did you ever trash your prefs after a crash?

Many people are still using Final Cut Pro 7, Media Composer, Premiere.

• innocentius Level 4 Level 4 (1,355 points)

Why are using the FCP X, there are lot of alternatives if you find FCP X unusable ???

Don't know what Mediainfo Mac is, but why does it say the file is MPEG-4?

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.