Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot copy iTunes folder from Windows to Mac because of Permission

I have my iTunes library on a windows machine, running windows 7. The library is organized inside the iTunes folder.

I am trying to put this same iTunes onto my new macbook pro. I tried copying the folder to an external HD and plugging that into my mac. When I tried to just copy the iTunes folder to the Mac HD I got:

User uploaded file

I messed around with the permissions in Windows, but I couldn't get it to change. I tried everything I could find in the security tab for the disk and the permissions on the folder.

I decided to try and see if iTunes could just do it itself. So I replaced it itunes library (which was blank) on my Mac with that of my windows. I then opened a song, and followed the promt to locate it. iTunes found all my songs (on the external HD) just as you would expect. Now I tried to consolidate to get everything over to the mac. About halfway through i got this error:

User uploaded file

So SOME of the songs and apps and books copied over but only about half and now it won't go any further. I went back to windows and tried to mess with the HD secruities again, but nothing worked.

One more note: when I open the HD on my mac it says "You have read access only" in the security tab. I know every other thread on this like suggests changing that but there is nowhere for me to do that.

Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:23 AM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2011 1:51 PM in response to EmoryBrown

I then opened a song, and followed the promt to locate it. iTunes found all my songs (on the external HD) just as you would expect.

That's not what I would expect if you copied the entire /iTunes/ folder to the new computer.

Try this...

Open a Finder window.

Select Users/yourusernname.

Right click - get info.

Scroll to the bottom (Sharing & Permissions).

Make sure you can Read & Write.

Click the gear icon at bottom and select Apply to enclosed items.

Let it finish.

Delete the /Music/iTunes/ folder.

Then copy the entire /iTunes/ folder from the external to /Music/ on the internal.

Cannot copy iTunes folder from Windows to Mac because of Permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.