Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortly after starting up, a dark 'film' slowly comes down over the screen and I get a message saying I have to shut down the computer. I've tried to start from the disk, and before I can even run a repair off utilities, it happens again. What's up?

When I started my iMac today, it started beeping like an alarm horn. I shut it down, and held the startup button a little longer to get it to start. Shortly after starting up, a dark 'film' slowly comes down over the screen and I get a message saying I have to shut down the computer. I've tried to start from the disk, and before I can even run a repair off utilities, it happens again. What's up? Am I screwed? HELP!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 5:44 PM

9 replies

Nov 19, 2011 5:48 PM in response to andyfromvermillion

What you are seeing is a kernel panic, often but not always connected with a hardware or peripheral issue, so, unplug everything except mouse and keyboard, reboot and hold the shift key as soon as your hear the chime, continue holding it until you see the Apple Icon and spinning progress indicator, then post back.

It will take noticeably longer than normal to start.

Shortly after starting up, a dark 'film' slowly comes down over the screen and I get a message saying I have to shut down the computer. I've tried to start from the disk, and before I can even run a repair off utilities, it happens again. What's up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.