Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the advantage of "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library"?

Why does iTunes make a seperate copy of the media? I've ran out of space on my HD. I've followed directions on moving my iTunes Media folder to an attached WD 2TB drive on my iMac. Running Snow Leopard. I've over 500GB of media and I end up with a similar size in my iTunes media folder. I've got room, but it seems like quite a waste of space, since their both on the same ext drive. What is the danger in unchecking the "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" check box in the ADVANCED tab of iTunes Preferences? Every set of instructions I downloaded to move the media folder and have iTunes know where it's at on an external drive all had the same instruction to check the "copy" box. I'm sure there's something logical in that line of thought, I just can't see it. Can anyone out there explain it to me? I've currently have it turned off and I it all seems to be working correctly.

thanks.

Sam

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 9:55 PM

4 replies

Nov 19, 2011 10:03 PM in response to Sam Y Casey

Checked:

when you add a song to iTunes, that song is copied to the itunes library folder (on your external drive) with all your other songs, so they are all in the same place, on that drive. you can then delete the song you added to itunes from wherever you added it, because it has been copied to the itunes folder.

Unchecked:

the song is not copied to the itunes folder on the external drive. this means that once you add it to itunes, you must keep the song wherever you added it from, because itunes only remembers where it is located, and does not keep a copy in the itunes folder. moving this file will make the song unplayable in itunes.

What is the advantage of "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.