Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2011 12:28 PM (in response to Beeram)
iCloud is only available with Lion. Neither iWeb nor iDVD are now part of iLife.
Upgrading to Lion does not automatically put you on iCloud. You must either create a new iCloud account or move from an active Mobile Me account. With iCloud you and your wife should create separate iCloud accounts and separate computer user accounts.
If you visit support.apple.com and search for "icloud" you will find several documents and FAQs that will answer all of your questions.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2011 12:31 PM (in response to Beeram)
1. Can I get Icloud without having to upgrade to OS Lion?
Nope, you need 10.7.
2. If I upgrade to OS Lion, does this automatically put me onto ICloud
No, you set that up yourself.
3. I have three mobile me email addresses. One for myself, one for my wife and one I use for my business. What happens to these.
You can convert them to be used in iCloud.
4. My wife and I also use mobile me to sync our calendars across an Ipad (original) and two Iphones (3Gs). Both Iphones and Ipad are still currently using IOS4, and I am reluctant to upgrade this to IOS 5 as I have heard some horror stories. If I fail to upgrade to IOS 5, will this create confusion with my Apple ID's. (There already is a lot of confusion with these- Apple appear to not have down their homework)
If you don't change the settings you have now, I'm sure it will stay working. I believe Apple is phasing out MobileMe and you'd be forced to upgrade eventually.
5. Will Icloud allow me to transfer my Icalendar across seamlessly? This is Ical 4.04 whic came with my Imac. Does this get upgraded if I update to Lion?
Yes, it will get upgraded. I have my calendar on Lion and my iPhone 5.0.1 working seamlessly at the moment. That doesn't mean you won't have problems because with new technology that can be expected. Make sure you do a back up if you're worried about losing data.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2011 12:40 PM (in response to Beeram)
The current version of iWeb is version 3.0.4, you probably already have it. Neither iWeb nor iDVD are on iLife 11, I believe the versions you already have will work with Lion.
- No iCloud requires Lion
- No, you still need to create an iCloud account
- That depends, you may or may not be able to use them with iCloud, do you currently have 3 Mobile me accounts or a family pack, how many iCloud accounts do you intend using.
- iCloud requires iOS 5 (you may be able to use iCloud mail with iOS 4 but nothing else)
- Your calendars would be upgraded as part of your OSX upgrade.
Gee it's busy here
Message was edited by: Winston Churchill
Currently Being ModeratedNov 20, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to Winston Churchill)
Well thanks for the answers, but none of them are filling me with confidence. I had hoped someone would have some more promising answers, but yet again it seems apple have created a real mess and are expecting everyone to ditch their old devices and rush out to upgrade.
I can get iWeb and iDVD on Ilife'11 through the online apple store. I will do this anyway to ensure I have a decent copy of the software if anything goes wrong in the future.
I dont want to upgrade to Lion as I suspect it will create havoc with my Ipad 1 and my Iphone 3gs, especialy as I do not wish to upgrade these devices to IOS5 (see other discussion groups to verify this). Nor do I want Icloud as it seems to be a poor version of mobile me (again as posted on other groups), but this is not a worry as I will stay with snow leopard for the meantime. So far I cannot see any advantage to either Lion or Icloud but only a lot of pain.
When mobile me runs out I will revert to pen and paper. I realy on it less and less now, and will gradually phase out my e mails addresses and replace them with yahoo or hot mail or something.
What a shame for apple, but I appear to be joining a growing number of very disgruntled apple users.