Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error-1 time machine backups after lion upgrade

I upgraded to Lion on both my computers. My iMac Time Machine Backups are fine - it's connected by firewire to an external hard drive.

BUT my Macbook Tim Machine Backups are wireless using our Time Capsule and the backups are stored on the Time Capsule.

Since upgrading, The backups fail & I get this error: The backup disk image “/Volumes/Brunnertime/LittleOne (2).sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Just like so many other unhappy Lion users.

One positive abberation - Last night, I went into Time Machine Preferences, re-selected the appropriate backup disk (our Time Capsule), entered the password, started a backup and VOILA it backed up fine. All night long, it did hourly backups.

This morning? Once again, the backups are FAILING with that same error - The backup disk image “/Volumes/Brunnertime/LittleOne (2).sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Plus, now there are NO backups on the disk. Huh?

At this point we are disgusted that both Lion and iCloud (that's another longer story) were released before they should have been. Too many bugs.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 1:21 PM

See Pondini's TM FAQs and Kappy's going back to SL from Lion guide.

9 replies

Nov 22, 2011 7:17 AM in response to baltwo

Although some evidently feel that reading the how-to-go-back-to-SL solves the issue(s) with Lion, I'm determined to figure out how to rectify my situation. I'm staying with Lion.

That said, I would still like to hear any solutions anyone might have for the intermittent (frequent) Time Machine backup errors (see my original post).

And since I started this particular thread, I don't feel that the "Correct Answer" has yet been offered, at least not the correct solution for me.

Feb 1, 2012 3:24 PM in response to PatsyKB51

Hey, finally I found a permanent fix for this issue. I read about it at another Apple Discussions Forum, but right now I don't remember where.

It worked for me at least. In my case it seems that some Western Digital (WD) software was causing the issue. I just uninstalled WDSmartWare from my iMac using that application's own uninstaller, rebooted my Mac and, finally, after months of calling Apple Support with no luck, it all started to work normally again, so check if you have some WD software running on your Mac. In my case I didn't even need that WD software, as I had it because I used to back up to a WD Drive which I don't use anymore since I bought my Time Capsule.

Feel free to reply if you require any further assistance.

Good Luck.

Feb 6, 2012 3:57 PM in response to tomeurp

Tom, that is exactly what the problem is. I run my Time Machine as a share to a Drobo FS with 2 WD 2 TB drives. I installed the s/w on my iMac but never used it, and when I started experiencing these problems, I went to Data Robotics who manufacturers the line of Drobo products. They didn't know what was causing the problem so I went to this forum and saw your write up, and you are right on. As soon as I uninstalled it and rebooted, Time Machine took off. Thanks for this insight!

Error-1 time machine backups after lion upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.