Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finding duplicate bookmarks In Safari 5

After upgrading to Lion and iOS5, I get duplicate, triplicate, and so on numbers of the same bookmarks. Is there an easy way to find dupes in order to delete them. Since there is no way to sort bookmarks, I'm stuck. Help, someone.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 4:00 PM

6 replies

Nov 21, 2011 11:05 AM in response to Texas Cats

I found two ways of sorting bookmarks:

Take one or more bookmark folders and drag them to your desktop. This puts them into Finder and automatically alphabetizes them. From here you can also delete duplicates, rearrange, etc. Since I had thousands of duplicates, this was ok but would take a long time.

2. I eventually found a little program, Bookmacster, for all osx versions and bought it after trying it and being delighted. It cost $22.95 and is worth every penny for someone with my problem. The website is: http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/ The developer is helpful, too.

Since I'm no longer so ignorant about how iCloud works, the duplicating bookmarks problem shouldn't return. If it does at least I have Bookmacter to help.

Nov 21, 2011 5:52 PM in response to Texas Cats

The things I mentioned above didn't really work, for long. After hours of organizing, deleting dupes, etc. I shut down Safari, restarted computer, and then opened Safari and all of the bookmarks I had deleted returned. I even had iCloud's bookmarks disabled. Go figure.

So, I'm at a loss. Apple really needs to address this issue since so many people have the problem and no answers.

Fortunately, I had bookmarks turned off in my devices so I don't have that to contend with.

Dec 15, 2011 7:42 AM in response to Texas Cats

I encountered the same problem after updating to Lion and iOS 5 on all my devices this morning. I'm thinking it's occuring because my old school ipod running 4.3 that's sitting on my desk was still set up to "push data" from Contacts, Calendar, and Bookmarks (i'm a long time mobile me user) ....thoughts?

Shouldn't i be able to edit the duplicate bookmarks in the bookmarks menu? then the correct bookmarks should appear in the toolbar, but they don't

Dec 15, 2011 2:14 PM in response to kelleybri

Peter's suggestion worked. I purchased Prairiefire for $6, installed it and after it went through my 5,515 bookmarks (most of which were 3-6 of the same), I deleted all I wanted. Under "Tools" there are several options for selecting, deleting, etc. bookmarks you don't want. Money well spent.

As to Contact and Calendar, an Apple support technician walked me through it. Not sure I understood each step and didn't write them down, but it worked perfectly. Now no more duplicates. However, bookmarks are a different matter with iCloud. I think Apple still hasn't worked that one out... though they should.

finding duplicate bookmarks In Safari 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.