Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixes for blinking folder with ? mark?

I really don't know what else to try. I've tried pressing the Options button when I heard the chime (Which only worked once recently), I've tried inserting the disc which came with the computer and going into Disk Utilities, but the Repair Disk option is greyed out. When I press Verify Disk Permissions, I get an error saying No valid packages, although I've never deleted anything under /Library/Receipts. I've also tried re-installing the software using the disc, but the farthest I can go is Destinations, which is just a blank page. I also tried using the Safe Boot command, but nothing worked. Anyone have any idea on how I can fix this problem without a risk of losing data?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 6:41 PM

2 replies

Nov 21, 2011 5:46 AM in response to GorillaSnacks

Look at A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

It seems like your hard drive may have failed. Depress the Option key at startup BEFORE you hear the chime. Hopefully the icon of you hard drive will appear. Hope you have a backup of the files on your hard drive.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Fixes for blinking folder with ? mark?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.