Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: Organize by Thread

As rudimentary as it was I took advantage of the Organize by Thread feature of Snow Leopard, which seems to be missing in Lion. I get a lot of website generated emails with the same subject, which was easy to organize in Snow Leopard. In SL I would have one thread that had hundreds of emails (and I do mean hundreds) in Lion I now have hundreds of threads which I have to manage individually. Is there any way to get back to organize by thread? I've already enabled classic view but it doesn't appear to help.

Thanks,

-John

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 7:46 PM

14 replies

May 22, 2017 3:54 AM in response to alfa1956

Same problem here....

mail - grouping conversation criteria in Yosemite

Any news on this topic? so poorly explained really... In Yosemite it seems that Mail streamlines the message list by grouping messages into conversations, based on the subject lines, dates, senders, recipients, and other information.

But how exactly is this done? Which is the exact criteria used by mail to group messages into conversation? How is that not possible to set rules for grouping into conversations?

For example, I'd like to group emails with the same subject line into a conversation, regardless of senders / recipient? Is it possible? Thx

Dec 5, 2011 11:20 AM in response to Johnny Storm

No help here, but I need to commiserate.

If I understand correctly, I am having the same problem:

Messages with the same subject, but with different senders, are not consolidated into a single thread/conversation.

I also receive emails via a web form, where each message contains the same subject. In 10.6, these messages were ALL listed as a single thread that could be expanded/collapsed. In 10.7, they are now all separate messages in the Inbox (organized by "Conversation"). What used to be a neat and condensed display is now a very long list.

Still searching for a solution/workaround...

Mail: Organize by Thread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.