Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

selling a computer with Lion

If I sell a computer on which I used my Apple ID and the Mac App Store to buy OS 10.7 Lion how can I remove my ID once I have sold it? What about the applications I have bought through the Mac App Store? Do I have to remove those first? Can I transfer them to the new owner? Many thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 1:51 AM

7 replies

Nov 21, 2011 3:23 AM in response to UKmacnut

all good advice, thank you. My feeling is that a Macbook computer with 10.5 will be a lot less valuable than with 10.7.

I just Googled "os 10.7 install usb" for some ideas how to install Lion from a thumb drive or if that doesn't work I'll buy the Apple one at £55. I am just hoping I can install it without having to enter an "Apple ID"

Nov 21, 2011 3:32 AM in response to UKmacnut

I see where you are coming from. You really want to sell it with at least 10.6.8 but do you have the snow leopard disk to part with? Maybe you could update it to 10.6.8 and then it is up to date for the new owner to upgrade to Lion if they wish, without any concern on your part about Apple ID security. I would like to hear from one of the more experienced users on this, for my own interest as much as yours.

Good Luck

Nov 21, 2011 4:05 AM in response to UKmacnut

There is no legal way that you could buy Lion and include it on the machine you are selling, unless you're also willing to include the Lion flash drive in the sale. Install a fresh copy of the system it shipped with, or install SL and include a SL disk. Keep in mind there are people who still prefer to use 10.5 or 10.6, so your machine is not really any less valuable without Lion. The hardware is where the value is.

Nov 21, 2011 4:46 AM in response to UKmacnut

I agree the hardware is the valuable part and my feeling is that 10.6 is the best OS but this is not for my day to day machine, this is for an old Macbook I want to sell. I don't have a spare 10.6 disc. I want to stay legal so I will buy the flash drive and include it in the sale. It also gives the new user reassurance that they can reinstall everything. My question now is, can I install it without signing up for an Apple ID?

selling a computer with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.