7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2013 7:46 PM by craigfrommoore
mumbles2701 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Mail doesnt Quit when i ask it to. the Control Q seems to register but Mail itself doesnt quit. the Quitis then greyed out on the pulldown and nothing happens...

if i force quit, then i usually lose any settings i have changed or folders i have set up during that last session.

I'm on 10.7.2

Any ideas?

MBP 15.2, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • sig Level 8 Level 8 (35,780 points)

"Control Q"

It's command-q

• mumbles2701 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

my mistake. i did mean, and have been using command-Q, or Apple-Q. im sat on a PC now so just typed what i saw on my PC keyboard.

i do press Command-Q and 'Quit' i nthe pulldown greys out, but the program doesnt close...

• sig Level 8 Level 8 (35,780 points)

command-option-esc will give you the option to quit a program that is hung. Mac keyboard.

• Dale Weisshaar Level 6 Level 6 (15,855 points)

Have you tried going to the Mail tool bar, click on mailbox and choose rebuild from there. Mail needs to be working when you do that....that is if Lion still has that offering!

• mumbles2701 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

its still behaving oddly but only on occaison. I'm still testing various things and going to move to it permanently on jan 1st [nice and tidy from one program to another].

i cantsee any rhyme of reason when sometimes it does quit fine, other times it doesnt.

i dsont want to 'crash out' as this doesnt seem to save some items, such as new smart Mailboxes. Is this an ongoing error?

• Martin Bergstrom Level 2 Level 2 (475 points)

When this happens, Mail.app isn't hung. It's just that for some reason the "Quit" menu option is grayed out. It doesn't work to press Command Q either and even opening Activity Monitor.app, selecting the running Mail.app from the list and pressing "Quit" in the tool bar isn't working. The only way is to force quit Mail.app.

I thought this problem was gone since a few OS X version back (hasn't happend to me in quite a while) but just now when I restarted OS X to boot into Windows it happened. I'm on OS X 10.8.4.

• craigfrommoore Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We've been seeing the exact situation Martin describes in OS X 10.7.5 for the last few months on MacBook Air.  Once the Quit grays out, nothing else is "permanent" either.  For example messages deleted will return.  Hope there is a fix for this somewhere.