Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail does not quit

Mail doesnt Quit when i ask it to. the Control Q seems to register but Mail itself doesnt quit. the Quitis then greyed out on the pulldown and nothing happens...

if i force quit, then i usually lose any settings i have changed or folders i have set up during that last session.

I'm on 10.7.2

Any ideas?

MBP 15.2, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 5:39 AM

7 replies

Dec 21, 2011 5:00 AM in response to Dale Weisshaar

its still behaving oddly but only on occaison. I'm still testing various things and going to move to it permanently on jan 1st [nice and tidy from one program to another].

i cantsee any rhyme of reason when sometimes it does quit fine, other times it doesnt.

i dsont want to 'crash out' as this doesnt seem to save some items, such as new smart Mailboxes. Is this an ongoing error?

Jun 14, 2013 6:50 AM in response to mumbles2701

When this happens, Mail.app isn't hung. It's just that for some reason the "Quit" menu option is grayed out. It doesn't work to press Command Q either and even opening Activity Monitor.app, selecting the running Mail.app from the list and pressing "Quit" in the tool bar isn't working. The only way is to force quit Mail.app.

I thought this problem was gone since a few OS X version back (hasn't happend to me in quite a while) but just now when I restarted OS X to boot into Windows it happened. I'm on OS X 10.8.4.

mail does not quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.