Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move hard drive to New Mac pro?

I had to order a new Mac Pro which will be here in a week. When it arrives can I just move my drive from my old MacPro2,1 that I'm replacing into the new MacPro? I had just bought a NEW drive and reinstalled everything last month when moving up to Lion. Can I just take that drive and put it in my new machine? OR are there secret hidden files the new machine will need specific to the new MacPro?

MacPro2,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3Ghz, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:41 AM

2 replies

Nov 21, 2011 9:10 AM in response to Jim Cutler

Jim Cutler wrote:

...can I just move my drive from my old MacPro2,1 that I'm replacing into the new MacPro? ...Can I just take that drive and put it in my new machine? OR are there secret hidden files the new machine will need specific to the new MacPro?

I did just that going from a Mac Pro 1,1 to a 5,1. Initially I ran Migration Assistant on the new machine's drive against that drive to transfer everything. But then, to test out Lion, I booted from the transferred drive in order to run the Lion installer on it, and it booted just fine, even though it was using 10.6.8 from the 1,1 Mac Pro. It might be wise to run the 10.7.2 combo updater again after you move the drive over just to be sure the appropriate files are all in place for the new hardware.

Move hard drive to New Mac pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.