Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing sound + missing USB power (sometimes) from Thunderbolt Display when waking from sleep

Hi

Two problems - one of which is driving med crazy!! 😟

Have the latest updates, and the display is connected to a MBA (mid 2011).

1. The two are almost alwayes connected, and every time I wake the MBA from sleep, the Thunderbold Display does not "support usb sound" - the sound options are only MBA and headphones. Only a restart will give me the option to use Thunderbolt as sound output: WHAT TO DO!?!?!!
  2. Sometimes when waking from sleep the USB in the Display seems to be "off" - the will not charge my devices (iPhone, iPad etc.). Only reboot seems to fix this... I have seen this in other discussions but not found a permanent solution - any thoughts?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 1.7 GHz Core i5 - 128 GB - 4 GB

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:11 AM

4 replies

Nov 21, 2011 11:16 AM in response to thomasfromaalborg

Same here but reinstalling OSX is a bit drastic. I solved the problem by deleting a preference.

Go to Macintosh HD then System then Library then Preference panes then Sound.prefPane

Delete Sound.prefPane (you need to type your password).

Logout or restart.

This has happend twice this week so WHY is this suddenly occurring?

Hi,

I found this solution in the forum, but I can't find it again. I had cut and pasted it into a text file, because it solved my problem. I just don't want to take any credit for it. It did work for me. I had no problems for 3-4 weeks with the monitor, I have had the sound problem since last Friday. Very frustrating.

BSGINC

Nov 21, 2011 11:23 AM in response to BSGINC

Hi

Thanks for the fast feedback! 🙂

Am I to understand that you do this workarround every time the problem occur? If that is the case, there is really no point in doing the steps, seeing as I have to do a restart at the end. Restart always give me back the option of TB sound output.

Smells like a software bug - come quick Apple, a fix please!

Missing sound + missing USB power (sometimes) from Thunderbolt Display when waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.