Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes Podcast Video files from MobileMe to Another Hosting Site

I host my video podcast files on MobileMe, so I need to move them soon.

I will also be adding now ones.

In changing the RSS feed information for my existing podcasts, will that disrupt anything on my itunes page or for my subscribers for the podcasts that are already online on itunes?

I assume it will not hurt anything pertaining to the new video podcasts I will be uploading soon.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 2:06 PM

As long as you follow the procedure exactly the process will be completely seamless: subscribers won't even notice any difference unless they specifically check the feed URL.

Firstly, you need to move all the video files to the new hosting service, leaving the old ones in place: then you need to amend the feed so that the new URLs show in the 'enclosure' tags (these must be full URLs including the server name). Do not amend any 'guid' tags, even if they contain the old URLs.

Upload the feed, and check it by subscribing manually from the 'Advanced' menu. As long as it all works, you are ready to proceed.

In order to move iTunes to a new feed you need to add the following tag to the top section of the old feed, between the 'channel' tag and the first 'item' tag.

<itunes:new-feed-url>NEW URL FOR YOUR FEED</itunes:new-feed-url>

iTunes will normally pick this up quite quickly but you should leave it there for subscribers for at least 2 weeks - when they next check their iTunes application will transfer its attention to the new feed, and indeed this is the only way of retaining your subscribers. Be very careful when typing in the new URL because if you make an error and redirect iTunes to a non-existent URL you will not be able to retrieve the situation and your podcast will cease to function.

To check what iTunes is up to, click 'Subscribe Free' in the Store page for your podcast. Go to the Podcasts section in the sidebar: you should see your podcast listed in the main pane. Control-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) the line for the entire podcast (not an episode) and choose 'Copy Podcast URL'. When you paste into a text program you will see which feed iTunes is working from.

Once iTunes has picked up the new feed - as I say this normally happens quite quickly, but that's not guaranteed - you can add new episodes exactly as you did before. Make sure you are updating the new feed, not the old one.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2011 2:06 PM in response to Grlym

As long as you follow the procedure exactly the process will be completely seamless: subscribers won't even notice any difference unless they specifically check the feed URL.

Firstly, you need to move all the video files to the new hosting service, leaving the old ones in place: then you need to amend the feed so that the new URLs show in the 'enclosure' tags (these must be full URLs including the server name). Do not amend any 'guid' tags, even if they contain the old URLs.

Upload the feed, and check it by subscribing manually from the 'Advanced' menu. As long as it all works, you are ready to proceed.

In order to move iTunes to a new feed you need to add the following tag to the top section of the old feed, between the 'channel' tag and the first 'item' tag.

iTunes will normally pick this up quite quickly but you should leave it there for subscribers for at least 2 weeks - when they next check their iTunes application will transfer its attention to the new feed, and indeed this is the only way of retaining your subscribers. Be very careful when typing in the new URL because if you make an error and redirect iTunes to a non-existent URL you will not be able to retrieve the situation and your podcast will cease to function.

To check what iTunes is up to, click 'Subscribe Free' in the Store page for your podcast. Go to the Podcasts section in the sidebar: you should see your podcast listed in the main pane. Control-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) the line for the entire podcast (not an episode) and choose 'Copy Podcast URL'. When you paste into a text program you will see which feed iTunes is working from.

Once iTunes has picked up the new feed - as I say this normally happens quite quickly, but that's not guaranteed - you can add new episodes exactly as you did before. Make sure you are updating the new feed, not the old one.

Nov 26, 2011 10:32 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

I am also changing my feed from MobileMe to Podbean. I have begun uploading my podcasts to Podbean and continue to keep them on MobileMe. I have read the instructions that Apple provides about changing the feed, however, I do not understand how to access the HTML portion of MobileMe so that I can put in the proper coding.

I currently upload all my podcasts directly from GarageBand to iWeb and then publish them to MobileMe. The feed that iTunes currently has, I believe, is from my MobileMe URL.

I have tried to contact iTunes Support and have been referred twice to their instructions, which I have read, but just don't really understand how to accomplish. I have also spoken to my Apple One To One instructor and he was not well versed in this area. So I am hoping that you can help me out.

I know that I have a good amount of time before MobileMe expires in June, but I want to give my subscribers a chance to continue with the new feed. My podcast is Jackie's Quilting Chronicles... if this helps.

I would appreciate any knowledge or help that you can offer me in accessing the part of the HTML that I would need for iTunes to pick up the new feed.

Thank you! Jackie

Nov 26, 2011 11:06 AM in response to Jax23

Slightly messy process, I'm afraid.

• Set up a new version of your podcast on a different server, with both the feed and the media files, amending iWeb's settings to publish to the new server.
  • Go to your iDisk and locate the old feed file. Download it.
  • Open the feed in TextEdit in plain text mode, not Rich Text which is often the default.
  • Add the following line just below the 'channel' tag near the top of the feed:

<itunes:new-feed-url>URL OF THE NEW FEED</itunes:new-feed-url>

• The URL must include the http://. Be very careful not to mistype anything or you won't be able to retrieve the situation.
  • Upload the amended feed to your iDisk, replacing the original.
  • DO NOT publish any amendments from iWeb to your iDisk.
  • Leave the amended feed there for a couple of weeks for the benefit of subscribers; iTunes should update fairly quickly.

Nov 29, 2011 10:50 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I am close to having my new rss read written. But I have two questions.

Question 1: Roger Wllmut1 wrote ".Do not amend any 'guid' tags, even if they contain the old URLs." I am using FeedForAll (mac) to write my rss xml and plist files. It seems origiinally I did them wrong in that the 'guid' tags for each of my podcast "items" was some random number I had FeedForAll generate rather than the specified way which was to the "guid" refer to the url of the podcast file with the FeedForAll GUID box for "is Perma Link" checked. I noticed, in trying out the new podcast url via iTunes/advanced pull down menu, that it was only when I put in the URL and checked the perma link box, did my podcast order correctly in iTunes in terms of order or publication.

So right now, using the advanced pulldown menu in itunes to "Subscribe to Podcast" everything works well, shows up in iTunes and downloads.

But you said NOT to amend any "guid" tags. So should I go back and undo the way I did each podcast item's "guid"s?

What would happen if I leave the way I have just done them?

Question 2: My existing rss xml file begins like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<rss xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/dtds/podcast-1.0.dtd" version="2.0">

<channel>

<title>HERE - architecture as seen from the San Francisco Bay Region</title>

<description>From a personal point of view, HERE enables me to take a fresh look at architecture outside...

So given Roger's comments to "add the following tag to the top section of the old feed, between the 'channel' tag and the first 'item' tag. <itunes:new-feed-url>NEW URL FOR YOUR FEED</itunes:new-feed-url>" should my rss xml file be changed to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<rss xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/dtds/podcast-1.0.dtd" version="2.0">

<channel>

<title>HERE - architecture as seen from the San Francisco Bay Region</title>

<description>From a personal point of view, HERE enables me to take a fresh look at architecture outside...

Nov 29, 2011 11:36 PM in response to Grlym

If the GUID tags are different from what they were before iTunes will see the episodes as new and subscribers will get them downloaded again. This is why it's better to keep them as they were, but depending on how your podcast creation process works if you can't then it's not a disaster.

Your example showing how to add the redirection tag is correct.

Dec 10, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

This is very helpful, but now I am having one more little problem. I have been trying to find the feed on iDisk and am having trouble locating. Where should I be looking? I go into Finder, click on iDisk, then I go to web, then sites, then I see an option that says feed.xml. When I double click on this it opens in Safari but does not look like what I should have. And I am not sure that is actually downloading it anyway. Any suggestions?

Dec 10, 2011 10:14 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Nope, actually I am following your instructions that you posted back to me on Nov 26. In it you say to go to iDisk and iDisk and locate my iWeb old feed then download. This is what I am trying to do, but then come up with what I described in my response dated today (above). The feed.xml doesn't look like what it should look like as in the link you provided to me earlier. So I am not sure what to do?

This is definitely proving to be a little more difficult and involved than I thought. I truly appreciated all the help that you are giving me!! Thank you!

Moving iTunes Podcast Video files from MobileMe to Another Hosting Site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.