Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS X on Graphite Clamshell iBook, need help

I recently bought a second-hand Graphite Clamshell that works well under OS 9, but I want to put OS X (10.3) onto it so I can actually use the internet on it. My discs are DVDs so I can't boot off the internal optical, drive which is just CD, but I did get it booting off an external USB DVD drive. However, I get this when booting OS X off the external...

support.apple.com/kb/TS1892?viewlocale=en_US#one

And it just sits there.

Any suggestions for getting OS X onto the Clamshell?

I have a working G3 tower currently running the same OS X I want to install, could it be a simple case of copying the OS via a thumb drive over to the Clamshell like you could do with the classic OSs?

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 3:55 PM

11 replies

Nov 21, 2011 5:49 PM in response to DarthKomar

You need to check if your Mac requires a firmware (Boot ROM version in System Profiler) update. Mac OS X: Available firmware updates http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 If an update is required, the update must be installed (using OS 9) BEFORE you install OS X.

What color is the DVD - black or gray? You have to use a black, retail installer.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Installing OS X on Graphite Clamshell iBook, need help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.