Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 overheating hardware or firmware ?

I had my iphone 4 since August 2011, it came with 4.3.3 ios installed from the box. after 1 month, in the afternoon, the phone overheated suddenly to an extent that it was harmfull to carry with my hands, the battery was draining insanely and after gathering some tips, i decided to perform a clean restore what forced me to update to 4.3.5 ios. and the problem was fixed. in October, ios 5 was released and i updated my device to the new firmware. Yesterday, i was downloading an application from the app store when i noticed that my iphone started to heat rapidly and the battery started draining too. so i decided to repeat the same fix that saved me before and performed a software update what updated my phone the the new ios 5.0.1 firmware but my problem persisted. my iphone now is in a miserable situation. whenever i turn it on, it starts to heat very rapidly reaching almost more than 70 degrees celcius. whenever i plug it into charger it heats, whenever i plug it into my pc it heats, whenever i use it or turn it on, it heats to a harmfull level making it so hard to hold it in your hands. tried 5 times to restore as a new device through itunes, removed all ( apps/music/pics/contacts ) disabled ( location, mail, findmyiphone, notifications, network settings) i tried everything but nothing is working. i have noticed a specific area in the iphone hotter than all the other places, and that located at upper right corner (the camera corner). I dont know what type of hardwar is located in that area, but i doubt its a software issue because my iphone heats if it is turned off and charging. use it. as if there is an electrical closed circuit heating the device whenever electricity runs through it.

so advice to solve this problem. i really appreciate any sort of help since i live in lebanon now and there is no apple customer support center in this country. although my device is still on warranty.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, Factory unlocked brand new device

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 5:39 PM

2 replies

Jan 24, 2012 1:08 PM in response to Community User

I have exactly the same problem in exactly the same area of the phone. It started with heating on charging and was followed by rapid discharge and overheating (losing 1% every minute when not sleeping; losing slightly less while sleeping)

I have performed several (3+) reboots. I am on my second full 'Restore as a new iPhone', from DFU mode.

I'm starting to think the battery is faulty.

Given that I've read the other threads on this and all the replies, I'm guessing the only solutions are:

1/. Genius bar -> get a replacement

2/. Buy new battery and fitting tools online. Fit new battery.

Any ideas, O lovely community?

(p.s. I'm sincerely concerned that it's so hot it could self-combust...)

iphone 4 overheating hardware or firmware ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.