Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail creates drafts of sent messages

Friends,

IM running a fully up-to-date iMac i7. Sometimes Mail will create a draft of a message and put ut in the drafts folder

after I have sent the message. The message is sent fine but the draft remains in the drafts folder. How can I prevent this?

Thanks!

Steve

imac 27, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:36 PM

8 replies

Feb 8, 2012 4:37 AM in response to DC Steve

Yes, this is a precaution if app unexpectedly quits or crashes, you may recover the message, at the worst losing the last words written before crash.

You may consider it a small bug, but I find it a useful precaution, it saved me many unfinished messages when Mail crashed (very frequently in 10.7.0 and 10.7.1, sometimes in ...2, and never, finally, in ...3).

Feb 8, 2012 12:52 PM in response to Cattus Thraex

I agree with you Cattus but.....

a perfect Mail program will keep a copy of the message until the send action is completed. As soon as the send is done and the message goes into the sent folder a perfect mail program will delete its copy from the draft.

I never had a crash of mail from Tiger to Lion, never.

Therefore for me it is a bug.

Feb 8, 2012 1:10 PM in response to DC Steve

If you wish to stop that, uncheck to store drafts on the server in Mail preferences under Mailbox Behaviors. If you do save a draft, it will only be local, but that will stop IMAP from syncing the draft and therefore having a copy left over.

If you create a draft and want to access it later on another device, simply drag it from the local draft folder to the dragt folder under the IMAP folder in the sidebar.Then it will be accessible on other devices.

Feb 8, 2012 2:11 PM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

I too will implement Glenn's suggestion -- I hope it works. The problem with the current situation is that if a draft is automatically created and stored in "drafts," I don't know if I sent the message. I could check "sent messages" but it's annoying. I don't believe that I've had Mail crash in the four years I've owned macs, so I'm not too concerned about a mid-message crash.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Steve

Mail creates drafts of sent messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.