Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WOL app for mac

Anyone know of a Mac app that can send the WOL 'Magic Packet' to a WOL enabled computer?

The target machine is a FreeNAS server built on old Dell PC hardware

WOL is enabled on BIOS and the NIC is alive even when the PC is off, so WOL should work

Need to be able to send the WOL command over the netwrok to get the NAS box to wake from OFF occcasionally when I want to performanc maintenance etc.

I currently have it set to wake via BIOS every night for the nightly backups, then shut down again.

I also have the BIOS set to "Power On" after power failure/outage..so I can turn it on via a remote control mains switch, but this does mean shutting down other PC (via their respective WebGUI's) on the same power strip before doing this. These machines are locted in the attic, so it is a pain to manually climb up to them to power them on manually

To get a WOL command sent from the main house computer to wake the NAS server when needed outside of th ebackup hours would be a great addition

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 6:04 AM

http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/ sounds like the feature you desire.

6 replies

Nov 29, 2011 5:21 PM in response to sTcA

The trick with sending Wake-on-LAN messages from an external network is to send the message to the broadcast address of your local network. That is to say, there should be an IP address that your router will recognize as special and any message sent to that IP will be sent out to whole local network. You simply send the Wake-on-LAN messge to that IP and it's broadcast to the whole local network. If behind a router, have the router forward the Wake-on-LAN requests to that IP.

Here's a Wikipedia article that teaches you how to figure out the broadcast address for your local network:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address

WOL app for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.