Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couple questions related to a file permission problem

I've been battling a permission problem with one of my files that is driving me crazy. It is related to my iTunes Library (history can be found here - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3401007. But I'd thought to ask a question in a new post that is more focused on Permissions themslees in hopes to gain better understanding and eventually be able to solve this.

Ok, I have my file - iTunes Library.itl which normall has the following permssions which I can see using Get Info and using 'ls -al' command to check the status using Terminal:

With 'Get Info'

Bob (Me) - Read & Write

staff - Read only

everyone - Read only

With 'Terminal'

-rw-r--r--@ 7 Bob staff 90429083 Nov 16 17:32 /Users/Bob/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl

Intermittantely (2-3 times a day) the file will not be recogonized. Under Get Info it shows as "unknown access". But using Terminal, the file still shows as above. I also checked this file using TinkerTool System and all looked to be ok. I also took this file when messed up, and altered the permissions with TinekerTool and no difference with Get Info (nor was the file reconginized when trying to access it). Everything was changing as expected when looking at the same in Terminal.

In order to make this work, I either have to run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility or sometimes a reboot fix. Note I set up an entire new library (wtih a new file, put under new directory and several other things to repair as has been documented in the thread mentioned above. Also note, there are a couple of other people having the same problem.

Anyway, my initial question on this:

1) Why would the file show with 'unknown permissions' using Get Info yet using Terminal (and with TinkerTool), show ok? It almost seems like there is a 'shell' of some sort that is getting screwed up (I know this is probably not the correct terminology I'm using here).

2) As mentioned when I Repair Permissions with Disk Utility, it corrects everything. Looking at the report generated though, I only see the corrections to

System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/...

System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/...

which appear to have no relation to this iTunes file and for which I researched and appear to be ones that can be ignored.

So why would you think this is correcting the problem when I run this?

Appreciate any insight you all may have...

Thanks,

Bob

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 5:40 AM

Bob Grove wrote:

In order to make this work, I either have to run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility or sometimes a reboot fix.

Since your iTunes Library is located in /Users/Bob/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl, Repair Permissions isn't even touching it. Repair Permissions touches nothing in your Users folders. If you want to repair permissions in your Home folder, boot from your Recovery Volume to do that repair...

1. Restart Lion, and before you hear the chime, hold down the Command and R keys.

2. You’ll be at the Repair Utilities screen. Click the Utilities item in the Menu Bar, then click Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Return.

4. The password reset utility window launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account where you’re having issues.

5. At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button there.

The process takes a few minutes. When it’s completed, restart.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2011 5:40 AM in response to Bob Grove

Bob Grove wrote:

In order to make this work, I either have to run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility or sometimes a reboot fix.

Since your iTunes Library is located in /Users/Bob/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl, Repair Permissions isn't even touching it. Repair Permissions touches nothing in your Users folders. If you want to repair permissions in your Home folder, boot from your Recovery Volume to do that repair...

1. Restart Lion, and before you hear the chime, hold down the Command and R keys.

2. You’ll be at the Repair Utilities screen. Click the Utilities item in the Menu Bar, then click Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Return.

4. The password reset utility window launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account where you’re having issues.

5. At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button there.

The process takes a few minutes. When it’s completed, restart.

Nov 22, 2011 6:13 AM in response to macjack

Thanks the quick reply on this. Yea, that is what I thought with the Repair Permissions - which makes it even more curios on why when I do run this, it is correcting (for a while at least) the problem I'm having. Again, it's almost like there is something overlaying this folder that is somehow impacted when I run this.

Anyway, I just ran what you suggested to at least have all in my Home folder as to where it should be, so will monitor things and see if makes a difference. Was unaware of this Utility so many thinks. Could also prove useful in the futire.

--B

Nov 22, 2011 6:59 AM in response to Bob Grove

Bob Grove wrote:

Yea, that is what I thought with the Repair Permissions - which makes it even more curios on why when I do run this, it is correcting (for a while at least) the problem I'm having.

Yes, I know that but I can't understand why...

Is it possible you have a link to this directory at a lower level?

Of course, RP from within your OS will repair permissions on iTunes.app. but those are not an issue.

Thinking out loud here...

Are you running iTunes Helper in your Login Items?

Nov 22, 2011 7:44 AM in response to macjack

Yes, have the itunes helper running in the background. Good thought. This would be something to check (disable) next. Going to give the reset for the home permissions reset some time to see how it holds up.

Have some doubts that it's the iTunes.app though as have a parallel library setup where I do all my major adds (I do it this way as my library is large ~300k songs so editing in the main is painfully slow). Anyway, I've checked this parallel library when I was experiencing the issue and no problem with this one.

Thanks again...

Nov 27, 2011 1:21 AM in response to macjack

Back in had iTunes running most of yesterday and no probems. This morning running fine and then when was away for a couple hours and when came back message from Time Machine was it could not back up due to unavailable disk. Also happened to look at my iTunes Lib file (as left iTunes open) and sure enough was hosed. Manually selected to update Time Machine and no problem. Also ran Disk Utility to Verifiy the Time Machine Disk and all was ok.

Now here is where it gets interesting:

1) Before shutting down iTunes ran RP to fix it

2) After RP permissions showed ok using Get Info .

3 ) Closed iTunes (closed normally).

4) Went to open and the usual message came up when the Permissions are wiped - "No file found"/ Sure enough permissions where hosed again.

5) Ran RP again, fixed it and opened iTunes with no problem.

Below is the copy of all the messages reporting in the console during the period from 2-4 which should capture a specific instance where lost.

- Permissions ok here

11/27/11 5:41:20.734 [0x0-0x5fd5fd].com.apple.iTunes: Parent: Error or timeout on select

11/27/11 5:41:20.736 [0x0-0x5fd5fd].com.apple.iTunes: Child with pid 18055 exited normally

11/27/11 5:41:20.736 [0x0-0x5fd5fd].com.apple.iTunes: ATHostConnectionDestroy 0x7f7f8d364830

11/27/11 5:41:57.000 kernel: IOHIDSystem cursor update overdue. Resending.

--Permissions messed up here.

Nov 27, 2011 9:41 AM in response to Bob Grove

The error seems to happen in launchd, which would indictate system issues. I'd boot from my recovery volume by holding command-r at startup and re-install OS X. Then update with the 10.7.2 Combo

It also could be some iTunes issue, I'm not aware of. You probably should post over in iTunes forums if that doesn't work, as I'm no expert when it comes to that app.

Nov 28, 2011 8:56 PM in response to macjack

Thanks macjack. Tried over on the iTunes side but no luck which is why I tried here to hopefully get to the bottom of the permission issue. Unfortunately I already tried a fresh with a a new iTunes lib and rebuilt all and same with Lion after with a clean reinstall. Think at this point no choice but to live with this problem as it is intermittant and I know how to fix with the RP. Maybe will have some luck with the next version of Lion and / or iTunes. Thanks again for all your help here. Although did not fix the one problem, really happy with the Genius fix that came out of it. -- Bob

Couple questions related to a file permission problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.