Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many passcode attempts before iPad is disabled?

I'm managing a handful of iPad 2s. One of my users recently reported that his iPad was disabled due to too many passcode attempts (conducted by his daughter trying to play games, of course).

I've successfully restored the iPad from the original sync backup. But how many passcode guesses can be attempted before the iPad is fully locked down, requiring a full restore? Apple's support documentation only states, "after too many" attempts - very helpful.

A followup question: can this behavior be disabled with any management options in Lion's Profile Manager? I'm aware of the option to wipe the device after 10 failed tries--not at all ideal for my users--but I'd like to turn off this disabling feature if possible.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 8:29 AM

When you setup the device and set it to requuire a passcode, you can set the number of attempts before locking.

6 replies

Nov 22, 2011 9:26 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

In Profile Manager's passcode settings, the only option relevant to passcode attempts is "number of failed attempts before all device data will be erased." I can choose numbers from 4-10 or "--". I understood "--" to mean that device wiping was disabled. Am I correct, or is that just a placeholder for "use the default setting?"

I really don't want the devices to be wiped, though I suppose having to run a restore from iTunes comes out to about the same thing.

Nov 22, 2011 9:40 AM in response to ngtmacs

After going back through the User Guide, there doesn't seem to be a setting for just disable, only talks about disable and wipe by removing the encryption key, the passcode. Device must then be restored through iTunes.

Of course that is the risk run by letting people with company information on a device allow their children to play with the device.

Feb 26, 2016 10:59 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Hello Ralph,

In looking at your reply to below, my question is when the wipe occurs, does it also wipe the information off of the Cloud?

Thanks.

Raphael

Ralph Landry1 Nov 22, 2011 9:58 AM
in response to ngtmacs

Seems the default is 10...might be good to instruct people that after 3 or 4 to stop and give you a call. Most computer systems have locking when excessive failures occur so should not be a surprise to people that they cannot keep trying over and over.

How many passcode attempts before iPad is disabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.