Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro...no sound from youtube.

Speakers work, alerts work, but there is no sounf from YouTube. I have uninstalled and reinstalled flashplayer. I am technologically challenged. Any help out there using small words and symbols to help? Please?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), No headphones...nothing.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 10:06 AM

do you by chance have surround sound media playing while trying to play youtube videos? have you unchecked the mute button in the youtube player?

6 replies

Nov 27, 2011 3:39 PM in response to Laura Punkorama

Same problem here. When I load a website that has sound (such as YouTube), a little red light comes on (looking into the headphones port) and the volume controls all have a circle/slash thru them.

In the system preferences>>sound ------ the option for "internal speakers" does not appear (as it does on my other Macbook). The only choice shown is "digital out". So the system software thinks there are no internal speakers.

Is there an Apple tip sheet how to get the sound going again? Not interested in any hacks, workarounds, probes, paperclips, drivers. How does an Apple tech solve this problem on a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.8?

Nov 28, 2011 2:25 PM in response to TomSeattle

I called Apple Support. Apple Technician said there is a mechanical switch inside that hole; that is toggled when you poke a headphones plug in there. Sometimes it gets stuck. So poke a headphones plug in and pull it out. If the red light goes away, then you have solved it (and now in preferences>sound you will see the "internal speakers" option).

I had to poke the headphones plug in twice.

Jun 25, 2014 6:50 PM in response to Hevnleigh

Thank you sooooooo much, this idiotic problem has been plaguing me FOR MONTHS!!! I don't know when YouTube added the little volume toggle on their vids (which I don't recall seeing before...) but I looked and VOILA! The default setting is apparently "no sound", so I pushed the little toggle switch all the way to the right and... (gasp!) SOUND AND VIDEO TOGETHER! And I'm a Macgeek! Man, is MY face red! Thanks so much for this simple solution!!! YOU ROCK! (Although I may never live this one down...) :-)

Macbook pro...no sound from youtube.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.