Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable

How can i fix this problem of 'Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable' every time I try to launch IPhoto 11

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 11:32 AM

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose the option to check and repair Library permissions.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2011 11:32 AM in response to simon241

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose the option to check and repair Library permissions.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Nov 14, 2014 7:23 PM in response to Yer_Man

I've been working on this same problem for a month now. I am at this point too. I bought another 1 TB external drive but I restored my iphoto library to it (550 gigs). I copied the masters into a newly created library on my old iphoto library drive but the problems persist. I don't think rebuilding a new library on top of my restored masters is wise. This is absolutely insane. In my 26 years using Apple products, this is by far the biggest snafu I've run into.

Nov 14, 2014 11:51 PM in response to Gary Jaz

Your post is somewhat confusing.

I bought another 1 TB external drive but I restored my iphoto library to it (550 gigs).

Did you format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Restored from where?

I copied the masters into a newly created library on my old iphoto library drive but the problems persist.

What Masters? Why did you do that? Why not rebuild the Library per instructions above?

I don't think rebuilding a new library on top of my restored masters is wise.

Rebuilding a new library is impossible. You can build one but not rebuild one, but what does "on top" of your restored masters mean?

Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.