Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[OSX 10.7.2] Lion doesn't display password field on login

Hi,

I have two accounts on my iMac without automatic login and sometimes, after clicking on the user, the password field in login screen is not shown.

It works only the icon to put the mac to sleep.

The only thing to do is to force shutdown and restart.

I found the problem since I updated to 10.7.2.

This is my Mac: iMac11,1 (27-inch, Late 2009) Intel Core i7.

Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Or this is a bug and I expect that Apple will notice?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2),  iMac11,1 27" Intel Core i7 2,8GHz

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 2:28 PM

17 replies

Nov 22, 2011 3:34 PM in response to Von_Neumann

I have two accounts on my iMac without automatic login and sometimes, after clicking on the user, the password field in login screen is not shown.

It works only the icon to put the mac to sleep.

The only thing to do is to force shutdown and restart.

I found the problem since I updated to 10.7.2.

This is my Mac: iMac11,1 (27-inch, Late 2009) Intel Core i7.

Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Or this is a bug and I expect that Apple will notice?

I'll take a stab at it. I'm assuming you have clicked the icon for the acount you want to login to and it's not showing up. Is that correct?

Nov 23, 2011 1:08 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes...this would be correct.

It would be helpful, if you just assumed you are correct and give an answer. I basically have the same problem, and can't find any information to fix it, and can't use my iMac.

While you may feel I have a bad attitude with my previous comment, my previous post has gone unanswered, though it was posted before this one...and I can't use my Mac. It's helpful to be understanding that the people you are trying to help may actually be upset, ****** off, or in a bad mood and not really willing to filter their comments. At this point, I'm certainly not one them, though I don't wish to offend anyone.

And it would be very helpful if we can get down to figuring this out, though the fix is simple, I'm sure.

Nov 23, 2011 5:58 AM in response to Wolfmann

Wolfman,

I am not interested in helping you because your first post said "The people here are decidedly...unhelpful" That not only is a generalization but an incorrect one at that. From what I can tell you have already come to a conclusion that asking for help here is a waste of time therefore I have no interest in assisting you. So if I'm correct it would be in everyone's best interest (yours especially) if you either made a trip your local Apple Store or visited an AASP for assistance because "The people here are decidedly...unhelpful."

Nov 23, 2011 11:05 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I can understand if you didn't like my unhelpful comment...as much as I can back it up with fact, I understand this is a user driven community, and that not everything can be answered, fixed, or worked on. I needed to be more patient.

So, I do apologize if my comment offended you. I honestly mean that.

But I am a bit concerned. You are a very popular poster, and I've watched you over many, many threads and I would like to thank you for being so helpful, you do get it right most of the time (which is not always the case in a lot of computer forums) and I would like to apologize...again...if an off handed comment, made in the moment out of frustration and yes a bit of anger, ruffled your feathers.

I'm left with a bit of concern though.... As a senior technical support engineer with a major software company, and someone that has done a lot of consulting work, there are so many things wrong with your attitude, especially if you want to get into the IT field and be successful.

Do you honestly think that YOUR help is SO valuable that you can just choose to giveth and taketh? You're either here to help, or you are here to not help, and learning how to deflect anger, and ego in your clients is a fundamental core skill.

So, if my comment is something your ego can't handle, and you find yourself bristling everytime someone might have a negative opinion, may I also suggest that you do not enter the professional IT world, or that you make positive steps to grow some thicker skin.

With that stated, I don't need your help...I have 15+ years of professional experience and over 25+ years total experience, and have probably forgotten more than you'll ever learn from cutting and pasting from other threads and the Apple support area's. I thought MAYBE just maybe, someone has run into this issue, and the Apple discussion forums might be fruitful.

I've found one solution anyway, so you can go back to help other people that I'm sure are much more appreciative of you and your ego.

With that said, I think that the only way to make improvements here, is to contribute positively and to be helpful, so you'll see a lot more of me posting, and giving my feedback - so much so that you'll see I'm not the one that's a douche bag.

Toodles!

Nov 23, 2011 11:09 AM in response to Von_Neumann

Von_Neumann...I apologize if we've hi-jacked your thead. I found one solutiont that might be helpful for you.

Reset your user password. Which you can't do, because you can't log in...right?

If you can reboot your computer (sorry...Mac!) and either go into recovery mode or press CMD-R while it's booting. Once it's loaded, then simply open up a terminal session and type:

resetpassword

From there a gui utility should pop up. I only tested this with one user that I have, but I set my user's password to blank. I also reset my permissions, but I'm not convinced this is a factor. Once that was done, I rebooted and was able to get to the desktop.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce this condition, and so I can't test all the possible scenario's that could be used to fix it. If you are still unable, let me know and I'd be happy to work with you further on it.

And again, I apologize for the troll dump in this thread.

Nov 23, 2011 3:30 PM in response to Von_Neumann

I don't think I need to change my password, but I can try.

I need to change the password for all users?

My problem occurs only once in ten and does not allow to enter the password to all users, because the password field does not appear.

Now I turned on the Mac and everything went ok with no problems, but tomorrow it could happen again.

I think this is a bug in this version...

Dec 3, 2011 10:15 AM in response to Von_Neumann

I had this problem.

My solution was this:

restart hold down shift so the login screen becomes, 2 fields.

Enter name/password.

Then I went into the System Preferences.

I changed the Password to the same password.

Restarted and then after clicking the user icon, the password field appeared.

Also, if not working first time, change the login view from icon to name+password fields, then back to user list.

Perhaps this + password change is what is needed...

It's a small thing but kind of necessary for a first impression of Lion upgrade, IMHO.

Good Luck

[OSX 10.7.2] Lion doesn't display password field on login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.