Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import mails in Mail.app from Entourage - all unread, not flagged and no categories?!

I want to switch from MS Entourage 2004 to Apple Mail.app 4.5 (OS 10.6.8).

I tried to import my e-mails (about 30.000) in Mail.app from Entourage 2004 and I wonder:

is it normal that all the imported mails are now unread and not flagged?

Is there a way to import them and preserve their status (read/unread and flagged/not flagged)?

Is there a way to also preserve the information of categories used in Entourage 2004?

(Mail.app does not seem to have a similar feature, would it be possible to write the categories into a spotlight comment or somewhere else?)

Another problem was:

I tried to import the entire database at once, but ended with a lot of empty folders in Mail.app

So I had to import 13 times some subfolders, because it seems that at a certain point Mail.app does stop importing and only preserves the empty folder structure)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 13" 2.16 GHz white '07, 3GB, 500GB

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 6:07 PM

I've found that you often have to import your mail from Entourage to Mail bit-by-bit as Mail seems to 'choke' part-way through and you end up with empty folders. With some patience it will all import eventually.

Have you look at this webpage?

http://www.office.mvps.org/import_export/index.html

There are some links there to scripts you can use to export your data, hopefully while retaining important Entourage information (#3 under "Bacics for exporting your data").

Good luck!

Greg

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2011 6:07 PM in response to beckmart

I've found that you often have to import your mail from Entourage to Mail bit-by-bit as Mail seems to 'choke' part-way through and you end up with empty folders. With some patience it will all import eventually.

Have you look at this webpage?

http://www.office.mvps.org/import_export/index.html

There are some links there to scripts you can use to export your data, hopefully while retaining important Entourage information (#3 under "Bacics for exporting your data").

Good luck!

Greg

Import mails in Mail.app from Entourage - all unread, not flagged and no categories?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.