Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 8,1 max ram??

Just bought a MBP as of Late November, and have been told that the max ram is now 16GB, but the website still lists 8GB Max??

This is a CTO 2.5GHz i7, 17-inch that is version 8,1.

I want to put in 2 X 8GB of RAM, but the support pages do not mention it - but they also do not even list my processor as an option either.

Help?

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 6:38 PM

Apple says the maximum ram is 8 GB. There are outside sources such as Crucial and OWC who say they have installed and tested with 16 GB and it works fine.

Be aware that 8x2 GB modules will cost around $600. 8 GB modules are about $300 a piece.

3 replies

Nov 22, 2011 6:48 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I'm a BIG Ramjet Fan. They will replace 10 year old memory, and have been our supplier for as long as I can remember. Prices always fluctuate, down the shipment, but they are always the best - meaning the same mark-up no matter their cost.

But essentially, your answer is what I have heard.

"Recognized" does not mean usable. It could be the same as putting 24 GB of ram in Windows 7 box, with dual-boot and XP. XP will show 24 GB, and use a max of 4GB.

The above is what I DON'T want. $519 purcahse of ram for 16GB from Ramjet with lifetime warranty - But will Mac OS Lion use above 8GB, or simply agree that it indeed exists.

I would like and kind of need it for using the MBP for Audio Programs that I can set to only use RAM - Like Bias Inc PEAK Pro, and maybe Adobe stuff, if it ever actually functions te way they say it does. Isn't 5.5 the first version that is actually multi-processor and and 64 bit native?

Nov 22, 2011 7:03 PM in response to Eric Spire

Lion is a 64 bit system and capable of accressing way, way more than 16 GB of physical memory. The operating system is not a limiting issue here.

I have seen the ads from OWC saying they have been successful with the MBP using the full 16 GB they tested.

Of course at the price of the memory you need to be pretty sure that is what you want to do at this point, or what for prices to come down on the 8 GB modules.

MacBook Pro 8,1 max ram??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.