Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Control Bar Button Sets Drop-down shows non-existing Sets "Wedding", "Sports", "Animals"

Hi. I ignorantly thread-jacked another topic and Léonie was good enough to indulge me and to suggest moving to a new topic (this one).

I use several Libraries. I always switch Libraries by closing Aperture (I recommend this -- it forces Aperture to save any work it is doing behind the scenes, and seems to help keep Library-specific things like Keywords working better.) When I open a different Library, the Button Sets never show correctly: they always show as three non-existing sets, "Wedding", "Sports", and "Animals". Clicking any one of these causes the set name to show in the drop-down control, but no buttons appear. Clicking "Edit Buttons→Edit Buttons" brings up the Edit Button Sets dialog, which list the correct (custom) Buttons Sets in the Library. Clicking "OK" loads the selected Button Set. Thereafter (until I open a different Library), the proper Button Sets are listed in the drop-down control.

Léonie sees the same behavior, except the cause seems to be duplicate Keywords. S/he suggested places where we might find a solution -- and that's when we decided it best to start a new topic.

Are other seeing this behavior? Has anyone resolved it?

Thanks for reading.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- links added.

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 G / 500 G internal / 5 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Pho

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 2:57 AM

11 replies

Nov 23, 2011 3:39 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hello Kirby,

thank you for the new thread. I am not sure, if the similar symptoms we both observe, are caused by the same problem. My Button sets vanish, when I reimport images with keywords attached, I'll explain in more detail later.

S/he

And thank you for the doubt. A neat way to deal with unknown gender - but I hate to see that you have to violate your grammar. To give you a clue, my first name is Léonie, not Léon or Leo. Can you work it out? 🙂

Cheers

Léonie

Nov 23, 2011 6:13 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi, Kirby, some first observations:

User uploaded file

• Most of the times I can switch between Aperture LIbraries and the keyword control button sets are o.k.
  • However, I get "Wedding-Sports-Animals" button sets, whenever I switch from a library and the current button set is set to a selection, that the other library does not have.

In the example above I previously opened my main Aperture LIbrary, set to the button set "lectures" and opened my remote sensing library, that has no button set "lectures", and then I see the infamous "Wedding-Sports-Animals" buttons. I never noticed this behaviour when switching between libraries, because I try to have consistent button sets in all libraries.

- Léonie

Nov 23, 2011 6:41 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

And here is where Aperture stores the name of the button set, to be opened:

Looking into ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist with Xcode I see the name of the button set, that has been used when quitting Aperture bound to the tag "SelectedPresetGroupName"

User uploaded file

I see no easy way to edit this tag before opening Aperture on a different library, short of really desperate measures, like:

• opening your most frequently used Aperture library
  • creating one default set of buttons, that is defined in all of your libraries
  • selecting this button set
  • quitting Aperture and locking / write protecting the com.apple.Aperture.plist file, so that this tag cannot be changed again.

This seems to work, but a side effect would be, that the default Aperture Library cannot be changed; on opening Aperture you would always get the same library by default.

Cheers

Léonie

P.S. Tonight I'll try to track down the hiding place of these "Wedding-Sports-Animals".

Nov 23, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi Léonie.

That's helpful. I might try to keep one Button Set the same across Libraries (I need to have different sets for each Library I use) and see if selecting that set prior to closing allows for a smooth transfer to the next opened Library.

I have scanned my drive (using Devon's free EasyFind, which has much to recommend, including the Dock icon) and turned up the following files containing "wedding" and "sports" and "animals":

• /Users/kirby/Library/Application Support/Aperture/WatermarkImages/Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
  • /Users/kirby/Library/Application Support/Aperture/WatermarkImages/Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj (as well as other localizations)

Two additional things seemed noteworthy. The date on these files is 10/26/2011-12:47a. And -- so far -- still testing -- changing the names of those files makes no difference.

Nov 23, 2011 6:54 AM in response to léonie

We've cross posted. See my post here.

leonieDF wrote:

And here is where Aperture stores the name of the button set, to be opened:

Looking into ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist with Xcode I see the name of the button set, that has been used when quitting Aperture bound to the tag "SelectedPresetGroupName"

The problem, of course, isn't that the "SelectedPresetGroupName" isn't available, it's that Aperture responds to its absence by making the control show the useless "Wedding - Sports - Animals" triad. It seems to me ( 🙂 ) that the setting "SelectedPresetGroupName" should be saved with the Library, not with the application.

Nov 23, 2011 8:11 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

It seems to me ( 🙂 ) that the setting "SelectedPresetGroupName" should be saved with the Library, not with the application.

Exactly! I understand, why this setting it is in "Preferences" - that is the place where the current setup of the Aperture window is stored, but at least there should be an individual "SelectedPresetGroupName" for each of the libraries. Apple missed to change that, when they allowed the use of multiple libraries, and that is a design flaw.

BTW: that is a nice round number of points you've got today, congratulations!

Nov 23, 2011 9:48 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hello Kirby,

I am beginning to feel left out - not a single localization file or preset file on my mac containing that triad "Wedding-Sports-Animals". Since I do not have your "Easy Find", I had to fall back on the Terminal to search with "locate" and "find", but nothing. This default set seems to be hard coded in the Aperture executable.

Cheers

Léonie

Nov 23, 2011 10:40 AM in response to léonie

Since I could not find any localization files with "Wedding", "Sports", and "Animals" on my Mac, I was curious what would happen, if I changed the language to german. Right now my Mac is speaking pidgin to me; part of the interface is in english, part is german. And - oh wonder - the triad now appears in german, and I have no idea where these strings may be hidden.

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2011 11:39 AM in response to léonie

Hi L. Just a quick note -- stealing some time from something else 🙂 .

NB: I left out the actual file names when I posted the paths above. The file names are:

• FactoryKeywords.strings
  • FactoryKeywordSets.strings

😊

I have no idea why I have a copy of the Aperture application in that "Watermarks" folder.

The localization strings I'm seeing appear in the exact same place in the Aperture application (the one in my Applications folder), at

• ... Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FactoryKeywords.strings
  • ... Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FactoryKeywordSets.strings

I have also localizations for French, German, Japanese, and "zh_CN" installed (EasyFind fingered these on the same (English) search -- which strikes me as odd for a localization file).

Nov 23, 2011 1:05 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

I have no idea why I have a copy of the Aperture application in that "Watermarks" folder.

Because of a recent power failure and subsequent reconstruction work? Perhaps the date modified can tell you when that addition to your user library happened.

• ...Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FactoryKeywords.strings
  • ...Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FactoryKeywordSets.strings

Thanks for the pointer, now I found those files too in the application file: the stirngs for the predefinded keywords in the keyword HUD and for some predefinded groups, but I still cannot find any files that define and create that particular triad of buttons.

/* Localizable keyword strings */

/* Keep in sync with FactoryKeywordSets.strings */

"Photojournalism\tPhoto essay" = "Photo essay";

"Photojournalism\tPortrait" = "Portrait";

"Photojournalism\tSequence" = "Sequence";

"Photojournalism\tSports" = "Sports";

"Photojournalism\tSports\tAction" = "Action";

"Photojournalism\tSports\tFeature" = "Feature";

"Photojournalism\tSports\tIndividual" = "Individual";

"Photojournalism\tSports\tTeam" = "Team";

"Stock categories" = "Stock categories";

"Stock categories\tAbstract" = "Abstract";

"Stock categories\tAgriculture" = "Agriculture";

/* Localizable keyword sets */

/* Keep in sync with FactoryKeywords.strings */

"group.0.name" = "Photo Descriptors";

"group.0.preset.0.name" = "Action";

"group.0.preset.0.tag.0" = "Action";

"group.0.preset.0.tag.0.parent" = "Image type";

"group.0.preset.1.name" = "Portrait";

"group.0.preset.1.tag.0" = "Portrait";

"group.0.preset.1.tag.0.parent" = "Image type";

"group.0.preset.2.name" = "Landscape";

"group.0.preset.2.tag.0" = "Landscape";

"group.0.preset.2.tag.0.parent" = "Image type";

"

- Léonie

Control Bar Button Sets Drop-down shows non-existing Sets "Wedding", "Sports", "Animals"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.