Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heat/fan problem after hibernate

Hello

I've got a 2011 model MacBook Air 13" with the stock i5 1.7GHz CPU. It's been an absolutely fantastic machine but I do have one little niggle that no amount of PRAM or SMC resetting seems to fix. I've narrowed it down to something I can reproduce quite easily.

After closing the lid and allowing the laptop to sleep, removing mains power before or after sleep begins, after about an hour it goes into hibernation, which is expected. Now, if I wake the machine after this point without plugging in the power cable, everything is fine. I can then plug the power back in once it's awake with no problem. However, if I put it back on to mains power before waking it, then proceed to wake it, within a few minutes the laptop gets very hot, and only the smallest of workloads kicks the fan into life, never to be switched down again. I can fix this by simply putting the laptop back to sleep and immediately re-waking it.

I can only assume this is some kind of bug in the CPU performance controls, maybe clocking it at a fix higher speed on the first wake? It's been with it through every version of Lion, and through recent EFI firmware updates.

It'd be great to know if it's just me, or if others have noticed it too. It's not a big problem, it's just a little annoying!

Thanks

Steve

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2011 MacBook Air 13" 1.7GHz Core i5

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 7:18 AM

1 reply

Jan 8, 2012 11:25 AM in response to stevenewey

I have the same problem and I just read that a lot of other are too.

As soon as it gets 90C I just have to put it to sleep for 1 second and wake it and everything is fine.

I read in another thread that you won't have the problem if you:

1. Wait 2 minutes to open the lid after you have plugged in your power supply

2. Wait 2 minutes to plug in your power supply after you have opened the lid.

Surely this is an issue that I will be reporting to Apple as soon as I'm done here.

I hope they do fix it because it is pretty annoying.

Heat/fan problem after hibernate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.