Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto only partially opening

As of yesterday, when I try to load iPhoto I get the screen that says "iPhoto" at the top. After that, the little spinning beachball just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning. Once that happens, I can't access any of the functions, including the apple icon, at the top of the page.

I stop it by going to Mail and then accessing the "apple" icon from there. The menu under "Force Quit" says that iPhoto is "not responding". I then force quit "iPhoto" from there.

The only thing I did to the system prior to this was upgrade iTunes so that i could upgrade my iPhone to access iCloud. I am guessing that had something to do with it.

iMac OS X 10.6.8

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 11:24 AM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2011 5:15 PM in response to AppleJackIII

Make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

If that doesn't help try this: launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and try to create a new, test library. If you can then the culprit is your old library. If that's the case make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Select the options identified in the screenshot.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Nov 26, 2011 9:42 AM in response to Old Toad

This sadly brings up a rather embarassing situation ... I faithfully back up everything hourly, daily, weekly on my G-drive via Time Machine. However, I haven't the foggiest idea how to access or find anything in the nether world of "G". I asume that my iPhoto library resides intact and unmolested in that whirling, noisey machine that sits in the dusty recesses of my desk.

Since there are no apparent remnants of any folder that includes the words "iPhoto" and "Library" on my main drive, I assume all my photos are nothing more than random bits and bytes slowly being supplanted by organized bits and bytes unrelated to iPhoto. The 'G' drive may be my best hope.

(Actually, I'm not terribly worried about my photos. I know they all still exist in Aperture; but Aperture is not my prefered access for quick look-ups)

iPhoto only partially opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.