Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printable vs Non printable DVD-r's

I dont like to stick labels on disks!

But I am not having any luck burning videos onto printable media.

Whether created in DVD sp (4), idvd(4), toast (7), Same file burns very nicely onto SonyDVD-R (8x) non printable , but will not burn successfully onto either TDK-R (4x) Printable, or Verbatim DVD-R(8x)Printable.

In best case the (bad) disk will play on some stand alone dvd players, worst case, wont even make it on dvd player in either of my macs (g5 or ibook G4).

Have tried other printables as well... No Luck. TDK non printable.. OK too.

Is there a tune up or trick? Is this something that "firmware upgrade" I've read about can help?
Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Lightning

powermac, G5, dual 2.0 ghz, 2gig Ram Mac OS X (10.3.9) Pioneer dvr -107D

powermac, G5, dual 2.0 ghz, 2gig Ram, Mac OS X (10.3.9), Pioneer dvr -107D

Posted on Feb 6, 2006 3:25 AM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2006 11:11 AM in response to Lightning

We bought TDK Printable media and it won't burn on my G5 tower yet they work at home on a G5 iMac. Not terribly experienced with printable media but I can say that any non printable media I have used has worked fine. Immation, Sony, Memorex etc. have all burnt ok on the G5 tower.
My External LaCie burns TDK printable media just fine using a GSA-4160B DVD Burner (LG I gather).

Bill

Feb 11, 2006 8:18 AM in response to Lightning

I've had the same problem, my G5 tower (sony superdrive) will not burn on any printable surface dvds, but my imac (pioneer superdrive) will burn just fine.

I tried firmware updates and got the message that my computer did not need this update. I talked to several people at apple tech support, and they all basically said "too bad". The had no solutions and seemed like they had never heard of this problem before. They said if a drive works at all they consider it to be working and would not replace it. I don't know if this is a sony problem in general or some superdrives in particular...if there is a solution to this problem I would like to know also.

Feb 12, 2006 5:11 PM in response to Lightning

Thanks for your replies.

Good to know it's not just me / my system...

I also discussed "firmware update" with Mac Tech.. He said "All is up to date and should be automatically taken care of" .. But also acknowledged occasional problems when he does his own audio CD's on Printable media...

Clearly, he discussed the fact that the different structure / construction / reflectivity of the printable v non printable media may be an issue.

Next question..

Will they improve? Is there a brand that is better (printable?) Can this be overcome by any adjustment or update to burner??? Or is it trial and error?

Cheers

powermac, G5, dual 2.0 ghz, 2gig Ram Mac OS X (10.3.9) Pioneer dvr -107D

Feb 12, 2006 6:33 PM in response to Lightning

I dont like to stick labels on disks!

But I am not having any luck burning videos onto
printable media.

Whether created in DVD sp (4), idvd(4), toast (7),
Same file burns very nicely onto SonyDVD-R (8x) non
printable , but will not burn successfully onto
either TDK-R (4x) Printable, or Verbatim
DVD-R(8x)Printable.

In best case the (bad) disk will play on some stand
alone dvd players, worst case, wont even make it on
dvd player in either of my macs (g5 or ibook G4).

Have tried other printables as well... No Luck. TDK
non printable.. OK too.

Is there a tune up or trick? Is this something that
"firmware upgrade" I've read about can help?
Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Lightning

powermac, G5, dual 2.0
ghz, 2gig Ram Mac OS X (10.3.9) Pioneer dvr
-107D

New discovery....

While I have been wading through my volume of transfers and copies... I have dscivered further evidence pointing to the Superdrive UNit as being part of "the problem" with the printable discs..

I also own a JVCDR-m10 DVD Recorder. The JVC writes / burns proper DVD-r onto every disc I put into it! I have never had a problem, even with the printable media...

Today I took a disc, burned from DV deck to DVD-R Printable using the JVC. Perfect. I then tried to make a copy of that disk using Toast (v7) on my G5 (w/ Pioneer DVR -107D), and using a printable disc (Verbatim,) from same pkg as original JVC burned disc. Guess what...

The mac burned disc failed... same as always, about 23-25 minutes into the recording... digital break up, picture freezes, etc...

Does this give anyone any new ideas?

Thanks

Lightning.

Printable vs Non printable DVD-r's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.