Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G4 Hardware test error Mass Storage -9972

My Powerbook G4 15" aluminum 1.67Ghz 10.3.9 Panther won't start up.

(I did a backup on an external drive not long before it failed)

have gotten lost in my research on apple forums and knowledge base.

From the original install discs:

The Hardware test gives the error.

"2STF/8/3 ATA-100 ata-6-Master (-9972)"

The Disc utility does see my harddrive but fails to repair with the messge:

1 volume cannot be repaired,

'Invalid node Structure'

Disk 'no valid packets (-9997)'

I do have a useless partition from TechTool 4 and had successfully run the programs just before Powerbook failed.

aid everything was ok, with no warnings.

found somewhere a link to a hardware test code list, that said 9972 could be the cable (ribbon?) to the drive needed to be reset, replaced, or the harddrive replaced.

our local New Orleans 'official' Apple Tech guy calimed it was the harddrive and not worth replacing. he whined that it would take hours, tho the guys on ifixit claimed only half an hour.

i have since got a refurb MacBook (even older it turns out) with Tiger, but I miss my 15 incher Powerbook. (on very tight budget)

the battery got zapped by lightning last year and have struggled with it ever since. it won't fully recharge.

Right now have got it on the AC without the battery to try to charge the backup battery.

I have managed to restore it several times after crashing, inspite of my tech guy claiming otherwise. but have never really opened it up besides just looking at the memory slots. just one filled with 512 card.

so any advice, or suggestions.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 12:24 PM

An 'Invalid node structure', probably coupled with a 'failure on exit' message, is a Disk Utility error that means it can't fix the problem. Most use Disk Warrior and some use TechTool Pro, to repair it. If Disk Warrior can't fix it, then you can try a secure erase writing zero's to the drive then reload the software or get a new hard drive.

Your AHT error could be a hard drive, cable, or logic board issue. While cables do fail, my money would be on the hard drive itself before the cable. I've replaced a number of hard drives in PowerBooks, and it's not difficult (unless it's a 12" model) to do. The iFixit directions are clear. Here's a video on how to replace the hard drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/powerbookg4_al_hd/

Battery ... you may have fried your PRAM battery, which can cause some odd behaviors. OWC at http://www.macsales.com has started offering some PRAM batteries, you might check there. The lightening zap may have impacted either your DC-in card (what your power adapter plugs into on the Powerbook) or logic board.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2011 12:24 PM in response to René O'Deay

An 'Invalid node structure', probably coupled with a 'failure on exit' message, is a Disk Utility error that means it can't fix the problem. Most use Disk Warrior and some use TechTool Pro, to repair it. If Disk Warrior can't fix it, then you can try a secure erase writing zero's to the drive then reload the software or get a new hard drive.

Your AHT error could be a hard drive, cable, or logic board issue. While cables do fail, my money would be on the hard drive itself before the cable. I've replaced a number of hard drives in PowerBooks, and it's not difficult (unless it's a 12" model) to do. The iFixit directions are clear. Here's a video on how to replace the hard drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/powerbookg4_al_hd/

Battery ... you may have fried your PRAM battery, which can cause some odd behaviors. OWC at http://www.macsales.com has started offering some PRAM batteries, you might check there. The lightening zap may have impacted either your DC-in card (what your power adapter plugs into on the Powerbook) or logic board.

Nov 23, 2011 12:46 PM in response to BGreg

BGreg, was hoping you would answer. thanks.

will try these. may have to wait a month or two. cuz of the tight budget, and all the repairs on my 'new' 97 Jeep GC...

I do have a friend who is an electrical TV tech guy who has already given me a set of tiny tools who may be able to help me change the harddrive.

But will get back to you w results.

How can I use Tech Tool when I can't boot up?

and wondered if a clean install from my original dvds would work?

our Apple tech guy tried to dissuade me from that, even tho I told him I had backed it up.

I did a complete backup, but do not know if it will bootup from that. it is a USB harddrive.

and tried to dissuade me from trying on my own to replace the harddrive, even after I got the MacBook.

I just think it a waste to trash my PowerBook. it was an expensive piece. and loaded wi great apps. tho I only used about half the harddrive space.

one Apple doc said that the empty node -9972 meant maybe the 'receipts' in the library had been moved or deleted. how do I check for that? and if that is the problem, how do I get them back on the harddrive. they are all there on the backup drive.

Nov 23, 2011 1:43 PM in response to René O'Deay

A USB drive can't be used to boot on a PowerPC system, only a Firewire drive.

The only way to use TechTool (or Disk Warrior) directly on the Powerbook would be to boot from a DVD/CD. However, you could possibly go into target disk mode (boot holding the T key down) then hook up a firewire cable to your macbook (or other mac). The Powerbook should show up as a hard drive on your macbook (or other mac), and you could then run any programs needed against the Powerbook disk.

If you get it working to your satisfaction again, you may want to seek out OS X Tiger or Leopard (last PowerPC release), especially if you use it on the internet. However, if you have a set of applications that are frozen in OS X Panther, and don't have a need to access the internet, then just restore your backup and go from there. If you do decide to upgrade, Leopard requires 512MB min, so you should at least add another 512MB card to bring memory to 1GB. A 512MB card from Crucial runs $14 to $25, depending on which 1.67Ghz model you have. Crucial has free shipping and you can usually find a 5% off coupon on retailmenot.com. I've used Crucial for years, and it's one of the brands I recommend. I've also used Samsung and Kingston (not their value ram, though) in Powerbooks without issues.

G4 Hardware test error Mass Storage -9972

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.