Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Com.apple.imageCapture Core error-9931

I keep recieving this error when trying to use my Epson Workforce scanner - it just starting occuring recently.

How do I fix this problem?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 2:15 PM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2011 6:50 AM in response to LauraNevitt

Error message: com.apple.imageCapture Core error-9931 should only appear when you try to select the "Black and White" mode. Can someone tell us why "black and white" is a problem?

I have same problem with Epson Workforce GT S50 using it on a MacBook running OS X Lion. The Epson software, Epson Scan, that comes with the GT S50 is not Lion compatible. I can scan using Apple Image Capture but it is not as desireable as a full featured utility that "should" come with the system. I have spoken to Epson tech support three times. They have no solution and no projection of when the Epson Scan software will be updated for Lion. This is the same problem I have with Quicken. They designed the software for the PowerPC chip and Rosetta. They don't work on Lion. One suggestion was that I download Rosetta and try to run Epson Scan. All Epson tech support offers are un-tried "work-arounds". That's ridiculous for a major manufacturer with a first class piece of hardware.

If you can do without "Black and White" scanning and OCR, you can try the free version of ScanDrop. ScanDrop lets me scan to email, hard drive and EverNote with a very functional interface, but, and it is a big "BUT", it does not let you select "Black and White" mode when you are using the GT S50. I have not figured out why yet. Text Docs scanned in Black and White mode yield smaller files, better files for reading on screen and are easier for OCR programs to recognize text accurately.

ScanDrop would be the temporary answer until Epson delivers a proper Lion driver.

Of course, Epson should have a warning on all advertisements that advise: "DOES NOT WORK WITH LION". You buy the Epson Workforce Pro GT S50 instead of the very functional (designed for Mac) Fujitsu S1500M because the S50 has one touch style buttons that let you select scan job presets right on the scanner. Without a proper driver, a significant feature that is a consideration in choosing the Epson S50 over the Fujitsu S1500M is inoperable right out of the box it you are using Lion!

The best answer is probably "box it up and send it back to the to the reseller" and re-order the Fujistu S1500M. It is more money, but you get a Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard, CardMinder business card software, and Rack2-Filer V5.0, all included (to offset the price differential). A new, expensive scanner should come with software that allows all the hardware features (and buttons) to work!

Com.apple.imageCapture Core error-9931

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.