Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Autoplay with Bluetooth

I bought an iPhone 4S about a month ago and am extremely happy with it. Better yet, I bought a brand new car (2012 VW Golf) that allows the iPhone to connect to the stereo for 2 things:

1) talk on the phone hands free

2) stream music from my iPhone to the speakers using Bluetooth.

The problem is that whenever I start the car, whether the stereo is in BT mode or not, the iPhone start playing music automatically. I went into the stereo's settings and have disabled the BT Autoplay, but the iPhone still continues to play automatically.

Is there any way to disable the BT Autoplay feature on the iPhone?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 2:39 PM

That's a function of the in car system you have. The phone is only doing what it's being told to do by the stereo. Talk to Volkswagen about the problem. Sounds like a bug in their system. You may have to completely re-set the in car system.

12 replies

Dec 1, 2011 10:56 AM in response to jmbuytaert

Ignore KiltedTim above. There's a reason there are threads on the Apple support forum about Fords, Toyotas, you name it, all with the same problem. I have a Ford Fusion and it also autoplays despite Bluetooth autoplay being turned off. I also just purchased a pair of Bluetooth headphones and guess what, it autoplays as well the moment it connects. The problem is that the iPhone always autoplays after a connection. See this 2 year long thread which essentially concluded that it's an Apple issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2048359?start=75&tstart=0

Dec 1, 2011 12:06 PM in response to slapdash24

I hate to tell you this slapdash24, but you don't know what you're talking about. The problem is with the in-car system sending a play command on connection. Ford issued an update for all there systems about 2 weeks ago to correct Bluetooth compatibility issues, though I don't know if they addressed this specific problem.

The problem doesn't occur in my Kia Optima or my wife's Kia Soul, or my father in law's Buick, or my father's chevy or in my mother's Saab.

It is NOT a problem with the phone or the implementation of bluetooth, unless you count allowing the head unit to control streaming playback a 'problem'. The problem is the head unit in the car.

Dec 4, 2011 7:42 PM in response to jmbuytaert

I have the same problem with my iPhone 4s and my new VW Jetta. I have searched the web and have not been able to find an answer. It is so frustrating that every time I get into my car my phone's battery is being drained. I can't figure out if this is a problem with the radio or the phone, but I would like some answers soon! In the mean time I've been plugging my phone in while in the car to save my battery, but I shouldn't have to! I would appreciate any advice...

Dec 12, 2011 7:08 PM in response to jmbuytaert

I wouldn't mind the autoplaying so much if it would play both channels of the stero signal via bluetooth. But since it only plays one channel in both speakers, I prefer to play my iPod via the media connector.

The irony is that my old iPhone 3G always needed to be prompted to start playing via bluetooth and it got on my nerves to have to do that. My iPhone 4S won't not play, no matter how I adjust settings on the phone or the car, unless I disable BT, in which case I don't have use of the phone handsfree.

So annoying.

Dec 17, 2013 3:14 PM in response to slapdash24

Having been frustrated with this issue and finding no resolution I finally insisted on help from Emich VW in Denver - especially amazing Support from Sabastian from Service and Tyson from sales.

As many of these threads seem to talk past each other, find below my SPECIFIC problem and the resolution. If this is helpful, pass it on.

Hardware:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

iPhone 4S (running 6.x or all the way up to 7.0.4)

Problem:

You cannot prevent the iPhone from starting Music Player, playing music and streaming bluetooth to the Jetta. If you disable Autoplay on the Jetta stereo, the music doesn't auto play through the car speakers, and you think you solved the problem. But it turns out the music on the phone continues to play and streams bluetooth - causing the iPhone to drain it's battery. Additionally, sound quality on the hands-free system suffers.

Solution:

After 5 hours of work, the key is the LATEST Jetta Software update. Point your VW service person to Technial Service Bullitin (TSB) 91105. The key was to make sure that both the Software Part Number and Software Version number are up to the latest version. I'll state this again as the numbers are subtly different and can easily be missed.

In my example, I had

1K0.035.180.AE

It was upgraded to

1K0.035.180.AF

Notice both changed. Apparently this was surprising.

Enjoy!

Feb 12, 2014 8:42 PM in response to jmbuytaert

This totally annoying issue effects all 2012 VW models. My Tiguan has (*had*) it, my pals' Bug... Touareg.. Most folks don't notice their iPhone is playing music in the background and apparently most service guys are not aware of the problem at all.

The Good News... VW did recently issue a software update that resolves the problem. Yay!! I had it downloaded to my VW just today. Took about 2.5 hours total and wow, it's pretty darn terrific. You no longer need to turn off the music on your phone before you pull away from the curb. Your phone will simply connect and function as it should.

I did notice however the bluetooth audio volume when you actually do play music, is slightly diminished with this update, a minsicule price for having an enormously annoying problem fixed.

Sep 13, 2016 12:05 PM in response to KiltedTim

Sorry KiltedTim but you are wrong. I have been dealing with this too but just getting mad and annoyed waiting for Apple to patch it but the thing that finally sent it over the top was for me today when I setup my new Ipega Bluetooth gaming controller and because its simply a bluetooth device it started playing music so I pressed the audio pause button on the controller and it did mute the audio but it also muted the gameplay. I had to quit the game, open music and then pause or close the app. The app was NOT open in the background before I started the game. The WORST part and I mean the WORST is that the song it decides to play is the same EXACT song every single time and its a song I completely deleted from my phone!!!! Not only does it do it every time I plug my phone into a USB cord on a radio or connect over bluetooth but it will also do it if I am charging my phone using the USB cable to my car stereo and start to watch something on YouTube for example. Every time the video stops the phone decides to play that song and this includes inbetween the short commercial and actual video. I plan to post a new thread to Apple but before I did I figured Id do a quick Google search and found this thread so I figured I'd put the question of "is it the car or phone" to bed or you can add game controllers to your list of "it's not Apple's fault, you're holding it wrong" type of replies.

Oct 11, 2016 8:00 AM in response to Peterb16

Yes, this is still an issue even with the latest IOS 10 as of 10/11/16. If you connect to a Bluetooth device OR plug into a USB device capable of audio such as a car stereo, your phone will autoplay audio and the worst part is that it seems to be the same song each and every time REGARDLESS of the last song you listened to. Not only this but as I have said before if you play a Youtube video that has an advertisement while connected to an iPhone-ready car stereo immediately after the ad the Youtube video will stop playing and your phone will begin playing music until you press play again on the Youtube video. I have even unplugged my phone and killed ALL apps then plugged it back in and I get the same result. The only time anything different happens is if I was watching Youtube or Netflix and leave the ad open then plug in my phone. This is of course also a bad thing because I am usually watching Netflix and Youtube while I am on WIFI then I will plug my phone into my car to charge and I dont realize it started playing the Netflix movie because my volume is turned down. I realize it because my phone vibrates due to the alert I just received about going over my data. This has caused me to completely disable Netflix and Youtube over LTE.

Disable Autoplay with Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.